🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

d3d7 collision detection

Started by
2 comments, last by GameDev.net 24 years, 6 months ago
You need to be a bit more specific. For example, "how do I check for a collision between two triangles?" is a good question, but "how do I create a game?" is far too general.

--TheGoop

Advertisement
how would i check for collision and do physics if an object is on top of a box and goes off the edge of the box. how would i make it just fall?
how do you do collision detection and physics and stuff?
Before you can just program that, you are going to have to know the physics formulas, and know how to do simple collision detection. The collision is simply a matter of checking if rectangle's overlap. The physics involves using the formulas for distance horizontally and vertically, and generating a vector or a point based on the calculations. I suggest you look up some physics stuff online. If I remember, the formula for the horizontal coord is distance = speed * time, so you would get the distance moved by multiplying the object's velocity times time. The vertical formula is distance = .5(9.8)time^2 for earth (9.8 is the gravitational constant for earth).

---------------------------
http://qoy.tripod.com

[This message has been edited by Qoy (edited December 17, 1999).]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement