🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Question about hardware

Started by
2 comments, last by kressilac 24 years, 6 months ago
I'm pretty sure they are running Sun Solaris as an OS.

Dan

Advertisement
dlanicek's right, my guess is that they're using some sort of UNIX boxes. UNIX would be my choice if faced with a similar situation... but who knows, they might be NT as well.

I'm sure most big-name hardware vendors (Sun, HP, IBM) would *love* to talk to you about supplying game/connection servers.

The best I can say about the pipe is that it's big. Really big.

I think the icon's a CD w/ little 8th notes coming out of it.

Anyone know what *this* one is?

Mason McCuskey
Spin Studios
www.spin-studios.com

[This message has been edited by mason (edited December 15, 1999).]

Founder, Cuttlefish Industries
The Cuttlefish Engine lets anyone develop great games for iPad, iPhone, Android, WP7, the web, and more!
Not sure what this icon is so I figured I would give it a test drive. *chuckle*

Does anyone out there know roughly what the games like Ultima Online and Everquest use for hardware on the server side? In writing the business plan for a similar game, I would like to validate my choice of operating hardware. An answer to the following questions would do wonders.

Which OS is being used to run the game server(s)?
Which os is being used to run the connection server(s)?
What hardware vendor supplies the hardware for the game server(s) and the connection server(s)?
Lastly, how big is the pipe not including fault-tollerance that these games use and does the pipe support all of the game servers or is the pipe server specific?

Thanks for any information that you may have.
Kressilac

ps
I am planning on dual 6Mb connections to the internet enabling us to scale to dual 45Mb connections if needed.
I am also planning on an NT environment with 4 processor machines running each server. Each server has 4Gb ram and a Fibre Channel I/O connection.
The users I plan to have connected to one server is 10,000 at a time.

------------------
Derek Licciardi

Derek Licciardi (Kressilac)Elysian Productions Inc.
ooh, wait... the ZoomIn utility to the rescue!

It's Santa!

Mason McCuskey
Spin Studios
www.spin-studios.com

Founder, Cuttlefish Industries
The Cuttlefish Engine lets anyone develop great games for iPad, iPhone, Android, WP7, the web, and more!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement