🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Visual C++ 6.0 and DirectX7

Started by
2 comments, last by Alec 24 years, 6 months ago
Sounds like you did not copy the new .libs and headers into the appropriate directories of MSVC.
Advertisement
Alec,

That's fine when it gives you that message, just let it do it's thing.

What you have to realize is exactly what Dragun said. There are DX headers and libraries in the VC++ include and lib folders.
You can either overwrite these or even better you can setup VC++ to look in your DX SDK folders first.

In VC++ do this:
Tools
Options
Directories
Show Directories for 'Include files'
Either click the New icon or click into the bottom first empty slot
click the "..." ellipses and point it to the Include folder of your DX SDK
Now with that new entry selected, hit the Up arrow to move it to the top of the list ( so it gets checked first )
Show Directories for 'Library files'
do the same as above, but find the Lib directory

HTH,

Keeb

[This message has been edited by Keebler (edited December 08, 1999).]

[This message has been edited by Keebler (edited December 08, 1999).]

The DirectX SDK 7.0 example sources won't fit in my Visual C++ 6.0 ! When I choose "open workspace" for the examples, the program throws an alert box saying that the project was done using an earlier version of Visual Studio, and asks if I want the project CONVERTED into the new version. No matter if I convert or not, the examples won't compile without errors.

Here's a log for compiling ddex1 (DirectDraw example 1) after I converted it:

code:
Compiling resources...Compiling...ddex1.cppd:\mssdk\samples\multimedia\ddraw\src\ddex1\ddex1.cpp(39) : error C2146: syntax error : missing ';' before identifier 'g_pDD'd:\mssdk\samples\multimedia\ddraw\src\ddex1\ddex1.cpp(39) : error C2501: 'LPDIRECTDRAW7' : missing storage-class or type specifiersd:\mssdk\samples\multimedia\ddraw\src\ddex1\ddex1.cpp(39) : fatal error C1004: unexpected end of file foundError executing cl.exe.ddex1.exe - 3 error(s), 0 warning(s)

Has anyone a clue what might be wrong? The compiled .exe examples work just fine. It's kind of hard to get my own game projects started when even the ready-made examples won't compile..

-Alec-

Thanks, guys. I'll have to try that. Not now, anyway, gotta have some sleep.

-Alec-

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement