Advertisement

Ack!! THIS is an RPG...

Started by March 05, 2001 01:01 AM
14 comments, last by Wavinator 23 years, 6 months ago
I just came across this post and it brings up alot of points. I play crpg''s but I prefer console rpg''s to an extent. (I love online rpg''s)

But like how you asked why is combat always light? In final fantasy why isnt there blood? I think that would be cool. or if you could walk around durring battle and use the terrain for your defense or offense.Like say an enemy is standing in a puddle of water and you cast a lighting spell on him any other characters standing in the puddle should also take damage.

But more on crpg''s why not make them a little more fast paced? Almost as fast as an actual fighting game(maybe a little slower). I dont agree with the whole find your own damn dog etc.. for a good single player crpg there must be goals or else the player feels he or she is accomplishing nothing. Even if you are going for non linear its still hard as hell to make it fun.

My 2cents

OoMMMoO
quote:
...Why, Exactly, Is Every Fight "Combat Light?"

With most of a typical CRPG based on hack n slash to get any were, I think this is a major failing point.
The lack of an intuitions interface for higher planning in fights, diminishes the enjoyment to can get of killing a generic goblin Whats wrong with fractally generating the mosters, so every one is unique? It wouldnt be too hard, and if each moster was unique in apperence AND ability, it would aid in taking out the repetitious nature of killing x number of goblins. A RPG or CRPG cant compete with a 3d shooter in combat, yet this is what they try to do.
Also, too much of the actual fighting is very dependant on the random number generator and not the charactor position! If it comes close to the charactor, stop collision detection and whip out the rand() function. I know random numbers need to be used, but I think they are OVER used. Most of the ai is just random movements, this doesnt help ether.
Advertisement
Ahhhh, I see the problem. The problem is entirely in nomenclature. What we have is a number of First-Person Shooters, Arcade games, Action games, and Adventure games being called RPGs. Simply slapping skills and stats into a game does NOT make it an RPG, but that has not stopped developers and the media from calling them that. Diablo is an excellent example. It''s marketed and reported as an RPG, but it''s basically ''Gauntlet'' on steroids with a bitchin'' super-charger. Fallout is an old-fashioned ''King''s Quest'' adventure game with an improved engine and stats. ''Baldur''s Gate'' is not an RPG it''s a limited model of a real RPG.

See, that''s the problem, you were describing desire for an RPG but there aren''t any out there to play that don''t still involve a pen, some paper, and a book or two(hundred).

Kal
Se Fray Stent Feste!
quote: Original post by kalroy

Ahhhh, I see the problem. The problem is entirely in nomenclature. What we have is a number of First-Person Shooters, Arcade games, Action games, and Adventure games being called RPGs. Simply slapping skills and stats into a game does NOT make it an RPG, but that has not stopped developers and the media from calling them that. Diablo is an excellent example. It''s marketed and reported as an RPG, but it''s basically ''Gauntlet'' on steroids with a bitchin'' super-charger. Fallout is an old-fashioned ''King''s Quest'' adventure game with an improved engine and stats. ''Baldur''s Gate'' is not an RPG it''s a limited model of a real RPG.

See, that''s the problem, you were describing desire for an RPG but there aren''t any out there to play that don''t still involve a pen, some paper, and a book or two(hundred).

Kal

Yes, the way I see it every developer needs to treat each game as it''s own seperate genre. Then let the marketeers call it what they will.

Need help? Well, go FAQ yourself.
What a plight we who try to make a story-based game have...writers of conventional media have words, we have but binary numbers
Need help? Well, go FAQ yourself. "Just don't look at the hole." -- Unspoken_Magi
Look what I found...

www.glitchless.com
quote: Original post by C-Junkie

Look what I found...

www.glitchless.com

Wow. I have a 50/50 coin toss riding on the success of this one. If there main thrust, which is that permanent death will attract only true roleplayers, is sound, then this is a potentially awesome step for RP''ing.

But I''ve got a nagging doubt. It''s the systems glitches (no pun intended) that GMs can recover from, but unmoderated games can not. You know: The rules say you should die, but the Game Master has other plans for you; or you should have lost a character, but the GM fudges because it''ll make a better experience.

I do confess, though, that if they pull this off I''ll play it AND eat my hat where my philosophy of "no invalidating player gain (via death or whatever)" is concerned...

(I couldn''t get a read on what non-combat challenges there were, though, so PKing may be more rampant than they expect due to bored players)

--------------------
Just waiting for the mothership...
--------------------Just waiting for the mothership...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement