🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Using Quotes

Started by
2 comments, last by Mashiniblik 18 years ago
I was thinking of incorporating some quotes from a famous author into my game. As this isn't a commercial release, is this legal for me to do? It's a short story author, and I want to use some passages from one of his stories. Is this going to a problem, or is there anything in particular I should keep in mind?
Advertisement
Write him, his publisher or his literary agent and ask for permission.
What you're describing might be covered under fair use, if you're only using a very little bit of the story (i.e. a couple of sentences). Any more than that and you're in dangerous territory. Following Oluseyi's suggestion is the only way to be completely safe.

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

For Uni projects where I think "This soung would be absolutely perfect for this assignment!", I just email the publisher and explain that this is not a commercial project, and will never be used for any financial gain by anyone.
I have not as yet been told that I cannot use it, people are generaly very understanding and cooperative with educational projects, and I assume they would feel the same about a contest like this, given I count this as an educational project anyhow...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement