🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

[4E5]Commercial engine

Started by
4 comments, last by superpig 17 years, 12 months ago
Hi guys, I'm considering to use my torque shader engine for the project. I do have an indie license, but do I need to present it to you guys. Do we have to do it for other commercial engines too?
Advertisement
AFAIK you can use whatever you like, so long as it can be distributed.

From the rules page:

Quote:
Entrants are both allowed and encouraged to use 3rd party libraries, engines, and middleware to develop their entry, provided that whatever they use permits unrestricted distribution of the resulting entry executable per the Legal requirements of this contest.
Does the source sdk count?
You cant use the source SDK commercialy, unless you purchase rights to the source.
ok thanks, so...Is this contest considered commercial?
Quote: Original post by ericclarksu
Does the source sdk count?

The SDK itself is fine, however, in order to run your game you'd need the target system to have a Source game installed (such as HL2), which it won't have. The alternative is buying a license from Valve, if you've got a few million dollars spare.

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement