🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Another question (about DirectX 7)

Started by
2 comments, last by Qoy 24 years, 7 months ago
If I were you, I would ditch the lib that came with the book and make your own specilized one. DirectX wrappers classes are made to handle the general case and not the specific.

Does the book teach you how to use the real directx functions? or do they only give you a bit of information on them, and the rest relies only on thier wrapper classes?

I haven't read the book so I am just interested about what it might have to offer the beginer.

William Reiach - Human Extrodinaire

Marlene and Me

Advertisement
DSBCAPS_CTRLDEFAULT has been removed to encourage use of the individual flags that DSBCAPS_CTRLDEFAULT represents. DSBCAPS_CTRLDEFAULT was previously defined as DSBCAPS_CTRLPAN | DSBCAPS_CTRLVOLUME | DSBCAPS_CTRLFREQUENCY. By specifying only the flags you need, you cut down on unnecessary resource usage.

Former Microsoft XNA and Xbox MVP | Check out my blog for random ramblings on game development

Hello. I've been working on a Pacman clone for a little while now, and I'm using the engine that comes with Windows Game Programming for Dummies. In the Load_WAV function (a function that loads a wav file) it is setting up a DirectSound buffer, and it uses the DSBCAPS_CTRLDEFAULT flag. Before, I was using DirectX 6.1, and that worked fine, but now, with DirectX 7, that doesn't compile, because there is no more DSBCAPS_CTRLDEFAULT. Can anybody tell me what happened to CTRLDEFAULT, or what flags I should use to get the equivalent to it?

Any help is appreciated!

------------------
http://qoy.tripod.com

Thanks for the info. The only reason I am still using the lib that came with the book is because it's my second game, and I want to get used to the main ideas before I go into the lower level stuff. The book does teach the DirectX functions, and the library isn't provided until the end. Even though it is for the general case, I'm still customizing it a lot until I get what I want with it.

------------------
http://qoy.tripod.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement