🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Plot Driven Games

Started by
5 comments, last by yckx 18 years, 1 month ago
As hard as I try, I am unable to create a game w/out involving a decent plot. In the time alloted, i cant fully develop the concepts i want. there simply isnt enough time to generate all the content. Would an episodic game be allowed? for example the first part of a trilogy which when combined would equal the content length of a professional release. Would i get a lower 'grade' in the 'Delivery' category? from the judgment description Delivery Was it finished on time? Are there any obvious loose ends? obviously im worried about the loose ends portion. thanks
Advertisement
Well, cutscenes of pure text could probably suffice in some places. After all, many games have placed the plot entirely within the manual, or left it out altogehter (that's not to say that these were the most successful). So, consider some wicked text over image cutscenes at the least.
gsgraham.comSo, no, zebras are not causing hurricanes.
Well, I'm tossing on a really generic plot just to move the game along. If I had far more planning time, I'd put more effort into the story, rather that use crude, cheap humour to distract people from the lacking story.
With love, AnonymousPosterChild
Quote: Original post by cwyers
for example the first part of a trilogy which when combined would equal the content length of a professional release.

You don't need to make your entry as good as a commercial release. Part of the restrictions in this contest is the time limit, so I doubt the judges are expecting epic storylines. Game and movie makers cut plot elements out all the time because of time constraints. It's part of the process.

It may help to try to tell your story as a three act play: introduction of the conflict; the struggle toward resolving it; and the conflict resolution itself. If you can't strip it down into that, it's likely too ambitious for the contest unless you have a lot of previous work on which you can build.
your probably right,
ill keep workin on it
thanks
Quote: Original post by yckx
Quote: Original post by cwyers
for example the first part of a trilogy which when combined would equal the content length of a professional release.

You don't need to make your entry as good as a commercial release.

*cough*Tetris was a commercial release*cough*

You don't need to make your game as long as a modern commercial release. [smile]

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

Quote: Original post by superpig
*cough*Tetris was a commercial release*cough*

You don't need to make your game as long as a modern commercial release. [smile]

Of course. Please forgive my ambiguity :P

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement