🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Adamski's Developer Journal

Started by
9 comments, last by Forsaken Incognito 18 years, 1 month ago
(I think it be kind of cool if everyone that didn't have GDNet+, could make a thread where they post about their 4E5 entry. If it doesn't work out, I'll be ok with stopping.) I got the very basics set up last night while preparing for the end of the earth. I cleaned my desktop, reorganized a few things, and made a few folders for my 4E5 entry. I then went on to get the basic DD (Design Document) going. I first put down the title and four elements of the game, and made it look nice. I then wrote down 7 or so idea's, made sure I remembered them, and went to sleep after realising we all weren't going to die. I slept on it, and chose this idea to pursue further with. I added a detail here and there, and made this developer journal. Since pictures speak a tousand words, I'll let it. I'll be adding more detail to it today, and work on a timeline. Then I'll start adding characters, locations, and items, along with tasks, functions I will need to make, classes, etc. (Comments are welcome! :p) [Edited by - AdamskiAirsoft on June 6, 2006 2:15:52 PM]
Advertisement
I guess it's ok to do something like that as long as you don't turn it into a blog/journal where you post everyday and every thought/idea. Just an opinion, I'm not part of the GD staff ;)

Your idea sounds nice, I like the name too. Good luck! ;)
I'm audio blogging the entry our team is working at the moment. Nothing is public, because we have our own ideas, and I don't really want them taken. But, I do plan to release my blogs later, once development kicks in, and I speak to the team about them.
Ollie "It is better to ask some of the questions than to know all the answers." ~ James Thurber[ mdxinfo | An iridescent tentacle | Game design patterns ]
Got back from camp yesterday.

Well, I've finnished my design document, it's up to 3 full pages. My game has turned out to be more of an interactive movie, or watch cutscenes and participate in the fighting game.

Because of this, and because I don't feel like making a new story, I'll program it out how it is, but during the time between then and November, make combat extremely fun and engaging. Rather than type "hit", read, and repeat.

(Gotta run, finnish this later)
well there is a better alternative to doing your journal in a thread like this since you dont have gd+...you could simply buy a subscription to it :)
Quote: Original post by Falling Sky
well there is a better alternative to doing your journal in a thread like this since you dont have gd+...you could simply buy a subscription to it :)

Or not... :p

I've run into a slight problem. I've been using DevC++, and it's great, but I've run into some picky things, such as auto-formatting won't work in this certain case, and the syntax color isn't 100% customizable, and I don't feel comfortable renaming a file to .h or .cpp, whereas in Visual C++, you choose .h or .cpp, and the rest of the stuff is.

However, you run into problems using windows.h in Visual C++. It doesn't come standard with it. So I copied it from DevC++ Include folder to Visual C++'s include folder. Then I get another error saying it can't find this .h, so I copy it from DevC++ to Visual C++. This goes on a bit, until I just copy the whole include folder to Visual C++, and add it to the include section. Now, it's singled down to the end. STDDEF.H. Inside is the command, #include_next, which isn't recongized by Visual C++, but is by DevC++. Microsoft didn't include the command, or the compiler didn't, because it's not standard, moreof an extension. And so, I'm trying to find a way around this, edit it, or change the compiler. That or just get used to DevC++.

Any thoughts of this would be nice guys.

Anyways, I worked on my project a bit today, and thanks to some help from Chad Smith who is also participating in this project, I was able to fix a few problems I ran into.

Incase you didn't notice from my last screenshot, I've set up a project and gotten a library.h going on. In it, I've currently got two functions, one is txtcolor, which lets me type in the color I want, instead of typing out the whole long code.

I've also got another function, clrscreen() which clears the screen of all text, which will be extremely handy.

I then changed the console title, so it's no longer displaying the location of the .exe, but instead a defined title.

I currently have 170 lines of code.

EDIT: Here's the updated story.

Basic Storyline
HoB: Human or Beast - You belong to a medieval tribe located living unaware on a phantom island. The island is always covered in fog, and can be seen in the North Sea under a storm. You live in the middle of a forest clearing, for beyond the forest lays strange creatures that make strange noises. Little do you know that on the other side, lies a modern city. You live in complete safety, until contact is made between the two. War & Death are knocking at your door. Under whose loyalty do you answer it under? Do you ignore the knocking? Or do you entertain them for as long as you can?
Are you using Visual C++ Express? If so, it doesn't ship with the windows headers. To get them, download the Platform SDK.
Code blocks ftw!
___________________________________________________David OlsenIf I've helped you, please vote for PigeonGrape!
Well, I'm sticking with DevC++ for now. :p

Anyways, a few days after I got back from camp, I am now here in South Carolina on "vacation". Doing some family history with the family until Sunday when we fly home to Texas.

One good thing has happened though, I picked up the book Begining C++ Game Programming. Very good book, it covers the basics very fast, doesn't waste space making lame jokes and explaining cout for 2 pages. It covers advanced topics too, IMO, and of course game oriented, so I can't wait until I get to pointers to find out how to "effectivly" use them. It's great so far, I'm at the part where you make a hangman game, and I've learned multidimensional arrays, enumerations, and vectors and iterators from the standard template library, and more! :p

There are computers at these hotels, so I've just downloaded DevC++, and will be able to mess around with the code hopefully today and tomarrow.

BTW: Started using the Dina font at home, and it's awesome. Clear differences between 0, O, and o, along with 1, i, I, L, and l.
forsaken u live in austin?
one of my buddies in my 'studio' goes there
i live in temple

u goin to austin game convention this year?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement