🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Game Programmings SDLC

Started by
3 comments, last by Sajjad 23 years, 5 months ago
Hello every one, I''m working on a Game, we have designed the story and i think we have done quiet a lot of stuff, by we i mean me and my group mate, but these efforts doesn''t seem to satisfy the teachers we''ll be submitting the game, and none of the teachers have a single clue about Game Programming, they are all insisting on complete documentation, please guide me, if any one knows the SDLC (Software Development Life Cycle) of Game Pro. Mail me the site''s name concerning SDLC for game Pro. or let me know on my email address.... suchi_ade@hotmail.com actually we are not making it as a project to be submitted to teacher, but this is what i wanted to do from last one-two years, and my group mate wanted to do since he was in 10th grade. So please help us out.. thank you. Sajjad
Advertisement
Hello every one,
I''m working on a Game, we have designed the story and i think we have done quiet a lot of stuff, by we i mean me and my group mate, but these efforts doesn''t seem to satisfy the teachers we''ll be submitting the game, and none of the teachers have a single clue about Game Programming, they are all insisting on complete documentation, please guide me, if any one knows the SDLC (Software Development Life Cycle) of Game Pro.
Mail me the site''s name concerning SDLC for game Pro. or let me know on my email address....
suchi_ade@hotmail.com
actually we are not making it as a project to be submitted to teacher, but this is what i wanted to do from last one-two years, and my group mate wanted to do since he was in 10th grade.
So please help us out..

thank you.
Sajjad

Heh, Sajjad,

Sorry, I don''t know any sites on SDLC, but I just sort of have a similar thing here. I''ll be submitting a demo of my 3D engine to a C++ teacher here, and she doesn''t even know C++. Hell, after 2 weeks of learning C++, it was beyond her LOL. But I think my documentation is adequate. Here''s an example:

/*========isPowerOf2 -- Is x a power of 2 (i.e. 0, 1, 2, 4, 8, 16, ...)========*/bool isPowerOf2(unsigned int x){   unsigned int orignum = x;    /*   Shift x to the right until x is 1 or 0, then left shift   all the way back.  If x was originally a power of 2,   it would not change after the shifting.   */   for (int i = 0; x > 1; i++)      x >>= 1;   for (int j = i; j > 0; j--)      x <<= 1;   return (x == orignum);}  

So, the function name makes sense, it has a generic header comment which describes its function well enough for anybody to understand how to use it, and the comment inside the code explains the inner workings of the function in case anyone wants to mess with it.

Of course, with more complex functions I usually include a brief comment before every line or group of lines. Space it out, to make it readable. Then you may need less comments, too This should be enough for your teachers.

Wish you luck

------------------------
CRAZY_DUSIK* pCrazyDuSiK;
pCrazyDuSiK->EatMicroshaft(MS_MUNCH_BILL_GATES | MS_CHEW_BILL_GATES);
------------------------CRAZY_DUSIK* pCrazyDuSiK = new CRAZY_DUSIK;pCrazyDuSiK->EatMicroshaft(MS_MUNCH_BILL_GATES | MS_CHEW_BILL_GATES);pCrazyDuSiK->WebSiteURL = "http://www.geocities.com/dusik2000";
Yeah, I''d have to agree with Dusik...I don''t know about an SDLC, but "for good coders, documentation should be easy." For the SDLC, you might try in one of the programming forums.
--

WNDCLASSEX Reality;
Reality.lpfnWndProc=ComputerGames;
RegisterClassEx(&Reality);

Unable to register Reality...what''s wrong?
---------
Dan Upton
Lead Designer
WolfHeart Software
WNDCLASSEX Reality;......Reality.lpfnWndProc=ComputerGames;......RegisterClassEx(&Reality);Unable to register Reality...what's wrong?---------Dan Uptonhttp://0to1.orghttp://www20.brinkster.com/draqza
Guys,
First of all Thanks to all, but have you worked on a professional project, by professional project i mean project from some company, which hires you to make the software not game.
I guess you both have the experience of working on some software.
I worked on two projects from some Company, and what they asked me was give the schedule of your Development, know what i mean.
They wanted me to schedule the tasks and divide it.
In SDLC (Software Development Life Cycle) the steps followed are
1) Requirement Definition Document.
2) Requirement Specification Document.
3) Analysis.
4) Designing.
5) Coding.
6) Testing.

May be i missed some thing but these are the steps, you can either follow it top down or bottom up....

so i''m looking for such kind of information.
another thing, thanks dusik for guiding me, thank you, but this documentation is a part of SD Life Cylcle.

Thnanks for the help, guide me if any site deals with this kind of stuff...
Thanks You ...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement