🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

[4e5]Discuss: Economics

Started by
46 comments, last by superpig 18 years ago
Quote: Your game must include some element of Economics, of trade, of buying and selling. This could be as simple as buying weapons and ammo between levels, or as complex as the modelling of a full supply-and-demand driven market system.
Discuss aspects of the Economics element...
Advertisement
Does a resource-management system in an RTS count for economics?
Quote: Your game must include some element of Economics, of trade, of buying and selling. This could be as simple as buying weapons and ammo between levels, or as complex as the modelling of a full supply-and-demand driven market system.

I think this one is pretty clear-cut - a typical RTS has quite a complex economic structure. The hard part is getting an FPS to include this and not feel like it's tacked on.
I wonder if this is deliberate to discourage FPS clones?
Quote: Original post by Oberon_Command
Does a resource-management system in an RTS count for economics?

Yes.

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

Quote: Original post by d000hg

I think this one is pretty clear-cut - a typical RTS has quite a complex economic structure. The hard part is getting an FPS to include this and not feel like it's tacked on.
I wonder if this is deliberate to discourage FPS clones?

CounterStrike would be an example of an FPS with an economic element.

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

What if my leading character is famous economist and it takes place in trading houses, is that enough to be an econmic element. Or is the limit that it economics has to exist in the the games logic?

I'm writing a book about How To Make An RPG, check it out! | Blog

Quote:
What if my leading character is famous economist and it takes place in trading houses, is that enough to be an econmic element. Or is the limit that it economics has to exist in the the games logic?

I know there are no dumb questions, but what do you think.? Let us say I need to make a platform jumper. Now suppose I simply made a FPS (with no platform jumping) with a character that I simply said "used to jump on platforms back in the day".

Quote:
it takes place in trading houses

Stop complicating things - who cares if your leading character is a famous economist, does the game actually fullfull the requirements? If you do not know, then your idea probably does not fullfill the requirments. Do you affect economy in your gameplay design? If yes - then keep it... if no - then come up with a new idea.
AP - play nice, the question was in fact quite reasonable.

- Jason Astle-Adams

What's the need to go anonymous in this forum anyway?
Quote: Original post by Balaam

I would say that if the trading houses were part of the game, and you actually had to use some sort of trading/bartering system within them to get goods and transport them to other trading houses, than yes, that would fit.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement