🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

How do you do task & bug list management???

Started by
2 comments, last by Gonzo Team 23 years, 5 months ago
My team has grown to over 20 people and our old way of having a .txt file (listing programmers todo items and bugs) checked into version control won''t cut it anymore. What is a good method of keeping everyones individual todo list updated? Thanks, Gonzo
Advertisement
I''d look into more of a databased approach. You could have a main table that references the particular bug description, major and minor sections involved, who spotted the bug and when, and who fixed it and when. (Etc, etc)

Then, it would be fairly straight-forward to parce that set of data into a presentation app (maybe an ASP page?) that allows your leaders to only get the set of data they''re interested in.

For example, I''m only interested in unresolved bugs/tasks in the Graphics major section and the NPC sprite subsection. And I get a list of just those entries.

This data could also be of great use from a management POV, in that you could see who''s finding all your bugs, who''s fixing them all, and (subsequently) who''s goofing off.
In my firm (alas not a game dev one) we use such an internet based tool. What is good with such a tool is that customers may also report bugs and be informed of upgrades and bugfix.
Such a tool could also be enhanced so as to allow to keep versioning data up to date. Nothing is more annoying to learn just after the build that some code or graphics are changed.
------------------"Between the time when the oceans drank Atlantis and the rise of the sons of Arius there was an age undreamed of..."
If you have any money to spend (which you might not since that seems to be the way us independent developers are ), you could try a product called PVCS Tracker. It is made by a the software company MERANT. Look on their website at www.merant.com. I''m not sure what the prices are, but they do have a 30 day eval copy so you can at least see if it would be worth your money.

Tracker has all sorts of features and is used for process control and bug tracking by companies like Intel and many software companies. I have to confess that I''m a little bit biased. I was a quality assurance intern for MERANT for a while on that specific product.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement