🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

business model?

Started by
7 comments, last by ape 23 years ago
What if I have a puzzle game with predesigned levels, (not a tetris type puzzler, more like Dweep, or Lolo). Then I distribute a demo version of the game, and a full level editor, with instructions encouraging folks to make levels. Then, the user could send me their levels, and I could use them in a final project, either shareware or budget publishing. I would imagine that at least a few folks would voulenteer their work, for nothing more than their name in the game credits, even if I was making money off it. I''m curious to kno if anyone sees any obvious pitfalls with this plan, or if anyone has tried it, or anything like it, before?
Advertisement
Sounds like a nice idea, but wouldn''t you be concerned about people not purchasing your complete game. After all, why buy the game when you can download the demo and 1000''s of user made levels from fan sites? Your 20-100 levels might not be enough incentive to make people purchase the game.

As an alternative, you could package the level editor with the complete game, advertise it in your demo, and release all the fan made levels on a web site or additional CD for $5-$10.

Hope this helps in your decision.

borngamer

When they play their creations, it is obviously a demo, with a big yellow "DEMO" flashing all about the screen, so as to be just a little annoying. A designer will use this only to test their creation.

The real Demo with a handful of levels created by me, is full screen, with music, and no major annoyances.
You could sell the level editor as part of the "gold" package.

Shareware package includes a small number of sample levels, just to get things started.

Standard package provides a lot of levels and maybe some new featuers.

"Gold" package includes the standard package, maybe more levels, and the level editor.

Might as well bite the bullet and create the levels you need on your own, or pay someone else to create them. Relying on the goodwill of players only really works if the players liked the levels you provided with the demo or standard package.

And as a game designer, you probably won''t like the levels the players create anyway. Most of them will be "vanity" levels, or only minor modifications of the levels you provided.

DavidRM
Samu Games
I would leave the level editor in the demo and the demo having only a few levels and after they play them a sign saying buy (some people can get wrong the word register) the full version for many more levels, also a sign always in the editor asking to send the levels and their name (to make them care more if their name appears in the game) to an address and saying that they will be published.

"why buy the game when you can download the demo and 1000''s of user made levels from fan sites?"

make the editor to write some info in each level so if they copy a level they would be copying that info which would be copyright violation, also when running the editor asking for the person''s name and when playing a level made with the editor showing a sign saying that it can only be played by -name entered in the editor- and cannot be copied except to send a copy of the level to you. of course you remove those signs when you add the levels to the game
I did not know how to start a new message, so I have started as a reply. Sorry.
I have downloaded the demo version of dweep. Only 5 levels are available to play as it is a demo. How would I enable these levels or crack them so that I can play the full game without buying it. I am sure it is possible as all the levels are there, its just that you cannot play most of them. Please e-mail me with any comments on dan@on-the-run.co.uk
Thanks
s
That last message is either someone being stupid or completely mad. methinks its deletion time

http://www.positech.co.uk
Or you can make it so that the level editor makes a code for the computer the player is useing. When that person makes a new level only they can use it on that computer. All the other players version won''t be able to read the level because of this code. This takes care of the Downloading 1000''s levels from fans sites, but still allows the level creator to test their levels.

Just a thought... Of course you''d be able to take out the code and then distrubute the levels.

Alex Ford
PointSoft EA Co., Ltd.
http://www.pointsoftonline.com
There is also the issue of ownership. If you are going to use levels created by others you will need to ensure that you get them to assign their rights over to you (especially if they are not being paid). If you fail to do this then they could come back later when the game is selling and demand a share of the profits. You need to get a lawyer to draw up an assignment of rights document for them to sign.

Dan Marchant
Obscure Productions
Dan Marchant - Business Development Consultant
www.obscure.co.uk

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement