🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Ax Grinding: An Editorial

Started by
1 comment, last by DavidRM 23 years, 4 months ago
Everyone has an ax they just love to grind. My own is the demise of writing and story in modern cinema. For the most part I keep it to myself, or, at worst, bug my wife with it after watching something at the theater or on HBO that *should* have been much better. All in all, I figure that even though my opinion is reasonably well-informed and somewhat educated, I also figure that most people just don''t give a damn. They have their own opinions and don''t need mine. And I realize that if I stand up in the theater and use a laser pointer while making broad gestures with my hands to try to "educate the masses", teaching them that "How The Grinch Stole Christmas" is one of the worst films of the last 3 years, most people would think I was an ass (regardless of whether they thought I was right) and ask to have me removed from the theater. So if you find that you''re unpopular on various message boards, and feeling unappreciated for your crusading efforts, here''s a tip: Ax-grinding makes a very loud, unpleasant noise. It annoys people. Rather than make a public spectacle until you are dragged away, kicking and opining--and later wondering why you have no credibility--let it rest. Mount your rhetorical ax above your figurative fireplace and move on to a long, productive life. DavidRM
Samu Games
Advertisement
"It annoys people"
The people who like the subject can read it, the ones who find it annoying can simply ignore it.
I don''t speak English perfectly and you''re talking in a very indirect and sutil way so... could you tell me what are you talking about? In a direct way. What/who is the message related to?
In simpler terms, I believe DavidRM is politely asking people to behave in a civil manner on these boards: to restrict their criticism to constructive and usefull commentary and to avoid trolling and baiting.

--JSP

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement