🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Long live Ernest Adams !

Started by
34 comments, last by ahw 23 years, 5 months ago
Well, read this and you''ll hopefully agree with me. Wavinator : I think your design could fit in there, couldnt it ?
-----------------------------Sancte Isidore ora pro nobis !
Advertisement
Very interesting read, ahw. Just imagine if all games abided just half of those rules

http://www15.brinkster.com/nazrix/main.html

"All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be --Pink Floyd
Need help? Well, go FAQ yourself.
Need help? Well, go FAQ yourself. "Just don't look at the hole." -- Unspoken_Magi
....Then we will have of whole lot of very similar games.... just like now. Replacing one set of formulaic rules by another won''t change anything.
raeth,
not really...

Those rules were more to make a statement than true rules. They simply explain what not to do, and leave the infinite possibliites that are rarely done in games for the developer to use.

Need help? Well, go FAQ yourself. "Just don't look at the hole." -- Unspoken_Magi
It''s amazing how obvious all of that is, but it''s been said before, so unless Taiwan has another earthquake, the new technologies will always be coming out to play the bad guy role against the good guy, creativity...
An interesting article. Creativity vs Technology.
There is one thing that is a problem though.. most people like the eye candy in the video games =(
I used to know someone that said "1024 x 768 is not enough"..I have always wondered why that person said that statement because it still leaves me scratching my head and wondering why.

The nightmare travels across the cosmos with his burning mane. The trail of ash that is produced.

?Have a nice day!?

quote: Original post by GoofProg There is one thing that is a problem though.. most people like the eye candy in the video games =(

It is true. I think the only people who want deep gameplay over graphics are people who are game developers themselves and perhaps a very small amount of really dedicated gamers.

Like LF has said many times, most gamers are content w/ the way the game industry is right now (except for us of course).

quote: Original post by Raeth

....Then we will have of whole lot of very similar games.... just like now. Replacing one set of formulaic rules by another won''t change anything.

Quite the contrary Raeth.
I used to think like you, years ago. Then I went to take some lectures (for 3 years) to the Fine Arts. We had those weird exercises, where we had strict rules to follow.
I remember this exercise where we had to carve stuff into the wood, then ink it, and make prints of it. Everybody jsut did that... then I came up with this weird idea that I could mix the colors on the wood. A bad practice because it can easily become messy ... but it worked, and everybody was very impressed with the results. The next time, they all did like me So what did I do ? I decided that, hey, we dont really need the carved wood anyway, I used the brush we had to put the ink on the wood to directly paint on the paper ... and the teachers LOVED it because even them had never tried that one ...

Just to say that a very restricted environment will either lead to a very monotonous environment (all the people that follow the rules and for lack of creativity end up having very similar results) which doesnt change much from the actual situation. Or you get the creative people, that will create something totally original in this restricted environment, just because they have more creativity.

An example ? ASCII art. Think about it.

So, yes those "rules" are an excellent idea. And yes, they wont make a miracle. But creative people using them have a really strong chance, I am convinced, to come up with some innovative concepts.

youpla :-P
quote: Original post by Nazrix

It is true. I think the only people who want deep gameplay over graphics are people who are game developers themselves and perhaps a very small amount of really dedicated gamers.

Like LF has said many times, most gamers are content w/ the way the game industry is right now (except for us of course).

Actually, I believe most people DONT KNOW what they want. Hence they are satisfied by what they get, or not.
The MOD community is a tremendous opportunity for some people to show what they want, and for the public to show their appreciation for new concepts. But you''ll agree that the scope of games is still very limited (FPS, and maybe a bit the RTS).

Never underestimate the vastness of people''s stupidity...

youpla :-P

quote: Original post by ahw

Well, read this and you''ll hopefully agree with me.

Whoa. Very cool challenge. I especially liked number #4. Of course, the industry is going to ignore it, but it''s still a great way of thinking outside the confines of tradition.

There is one significant problem, though: Movies have an easier time making raw creativity physical. Think about it. All movies need are cinematography, story, and acting to meet the challenge.

This isn''t trivial or easy, but compared to game creation it''s a piece of cake. Why? Because we don''t have the equivalent of a camera. The camera is miraculous when you consider how it translates raw creativity into finished product.

But games have to go through so many damn technology layers before we can even get ANYWHERE: graphics & animation, file system, memory manager, UI. I think it''s partly this reason that we''re such a slave to technology. If you had to reinvent the camera each time you made a film, I suspect that the camera makers would be in charge of making the games and the emphasis would be on what they-- as technologists-- would be interested in.

quote:
Wavinator : I think your design could fit in there, couldnt it ?

Haha! Hmmm... It would be cool if it did, but unfortunately I fail!

quote: Original post by ahw

Well, read this and you''ll hopefully agree with me.

Whoa. Very cool challenge. I especially liked number #4. Of course, the industry is going to ignore it, but it''s still a great way of thinking outside the confines of tradition.

There is one significant problem, though: Movies have an easier time making raw creativity physical. Think about it. Movies need cinematography, story, and acting to meet the challenge.

This isn''t trivial or easy, but compared to game creation it''s a piece of cake. Why? Because we don''t have the equivalent of a camera. The camera is miraculou.

But games have to go through so many damn technology layers before we can even get ANYWHERE: graphics & animation, file system, memory manager, UI,

quote:
Wavinator : I think your design could fit in there, couldnt it ?

Haha! Hmmm... It would be cool if it did, but I don''t qualify.

I violate #2 out of fear (people are becoming increasingly intolerant of non-3D games, so I''m looking for a 3D engine)

I unfortunately have star pilots and space marines (along with a bunch of other stuff... but still it''s a spacefaring future, waddaya expect? )

And since part of the game has space combat between ships, #7 is impractical (missiles and destroyed ships explode, no way around it)

Maybe next game!

--------------------
Just waiting for the mothership...
--------------------Just waiting for the mothership...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement