🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Weapons Research

Started by
11 comments, last by Tane 23 years, 5 months ago
Does anyone know any good sites I can get information on real-world (and Sci-Fi) weapon types, damage, etc? Anything would be appreciated. Tane Piper Lead Designer - ZZICT Entertainment http://www.zzict.nl
Advertisement
I don''t think the words "Real World" should be anywhere near the word "damage"...
The most common ''Real World'' weapon-type is the firearm, be it pistol, SMG, Rifle, Assault Rifle, etc...and, needless to say, getting hit by a bullet WILL hurt...last I opened my eyes, I didn''t have a little counter telling me that i just took two bullets and am now down to 35 Health....
Just check out the rullebook of any tabletop or pen and paper roleplaying game.

-------
Me Hardguy.
and here is my game...
I''ve always believed that working out how much damage items do is one of the game design secrets to adding more of an original touch to your game anyhow. Why would you want to copy these of other peoples conceptions of weapon damage etc. Its far far more fun to do it yourself anyhow - this is what game design is all about is it?!

A designer doesnt need to know everything about code, they just have to have an appreciation for its limitations and how those limitations affect features they may wish to include in their design. - Drew
Go get a book on guns. That''ll give you the specification of the guns (i.e. barrel length, muzzle velocity, rounds per mag, etc).

They usually don''t say anything about the damage though, so you''ll have to work it out for yourself. A formula like Velocity * mass * calibre should do nicely.

==========================================In a team, you either lead, follow or GET OUT OF THE WAY.
Well, if you run through www.specialoperations.com you should find something. More on the technical and employment side, but you can usually find some nice ballistics info in the SOCNET weapons forum. Search the site and the forum and you'll probably find some, if not all, of what you need.

Don't expect any Sci-Fi info though.

Edited by - The Arachnid on February 2, 2001 5:12:38 AM
Try being a little creative with the Sci-Fi stuff. Idea farm.

A great place to start would be the Science Section of the New York Times (You''ll have to register though )... Scan for articles on physics, quantam mechanics, and other breakthrough technologies. You should get some gems like the "Relativistic Heavy Ion Collider". (Maybe not useful as a weapon, but it sounds cool ) Make a list, read the articles, and tie (and/or exagerate) some of the concepts (particle acceleration, slowing/stopping the speed of light, etc) together into something of your own, that sounds vaguely feasible.

And it won''t be another laser beam {hopefully}.

-pwd
Have you tried any of the weapons manufacturers sites?

for instance www.mannlicher.at is the site of Steyr, the manufacturer of the ever-popular Steyr-AUG assault rifle/carbine..

i bet S&W or H&K are easy to find...
and http://kalashnikov.guns.ru
By damage of the bullet i think he means more along the lines of will it pierce through armor or a vest of some kind. The actual damage of the bullet done is based purely upon size, force, location, and type of bullet. A huge bullet hitting you slowly would hurt, but not nessicarily kill you. Say, if i picked up a 20mm shell and lobbed it at you, it would leave a bruise.. no more If one were fired out you, the velocity of impact would rip through any type of body armor and put about a 2-3 inch hole through you. Granted, you could live through this.. if it were your hand, or maybe foot. Any half-way critical part of your body would require immediate medical care at a chance of life.

All you need to find is data on the shells and weapons. I don''t know exactly where to get this info, but many people have already put up links to this.

For sci-fi, try looking at NASA''s experimental page. It''s got data on things more for flight, but all of those could have a gun or weapon component. Also, look at anything physics related. A gravity gun, which could collapse a side of a ship, or explode it outwards.. without anyone ever knowing... or even a particle accelerator.. or an EMP gun? There''s almost any number of ways you could go with this.. any crazy idea could be a weapon. Heck, think about interesting sci-fi tricks you''ve seen in movies. In lawnmower man, he made the guy''s particles fly around eachother.. breakdown on a molecular level. Imagine what would happen if you did that inside a ship''s nuclear reactor? oops..

J

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement