🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Is voice playback a waste of effort?

Started by
2 comments, last by cliffski 23 years, 6 months ago
You know the thing, when you get a briefing in a game, or a tutorial, its onscreen yet they play a wav file of it anyway. Am i the only person that gets really wound up by this? I CAN READ i can also read faster than the dumbed down vocie takes to blurt it out to me. Im also really sick of the bad ham acting and always butch american accents on these things. or does everyone like that kinda thing? http://www.positech.co.uk
Advertisement
Yo.

Know what you mean... text AND speech is a bad combo.
Either you use text OR speech.. not both.

When reading a briefing text for example, the speech´s
only function is that its distracting you from reading.
Unless the speech is in a different language than the text =)
quote: Original post by Mace

Know what you mean... text AND speech is a bad combo.
Either you use text OR speech.. not both.

Guess I''ll throw my 2 cents in:

If you''re going to use speech, at least allow an OPTION for subtitles. Personally my hearing is not the best - so I cannot always hear all of what is being said by certain actors. In a game where recorded speech is a major factor, I will not play if there are no subtitles. Most games are good about this, but there are others that don''t make this consideration...

Otherwise I don''t mind recorded speech, I just want to be able to read subtitles when I start missing chunks of what is being said. Having speech in a game aids in the suspension of disbelief in some cases, but in Real Life(tm), I can always ask somebody to repeat themselves if necessary.

-pwd

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement