🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

A Game Ground Up

Started by
3 comments, last by Moogle 23 years, 6 months ago
Ok, everyone says they are going to make the kick-ass beat em all up game just because have read a interview with someone who made a game and thought it would be a cool carrier. When you ask them what kind of a game they plan on making, they answer: "Like Quake III but with better graphics and cooler and faar better and um ... there will be like innovative things and ... erm ... cool stuff" I have dreamt of making games since i saw "Monkey Island" when I was 6. It looked bad and sounded bad but I was amazed. I have been writing a game document since I played FF7. I came up with a totally new battle system that could be descibed as HALO, Revenant, Diablo 2 and Final Fantasy 6 crossing each other up. I know it is good, cause I am a gamer, and gamers know what they like. The problem is that I will never get to make that I game...I cant program (very well) ... I cant model ... I can only imagine, write and design. My grades will probably be below avarages eaven though I am trying hard. I can feel my talent, cause I have grown up around it. When I was 7 I used to play that I was a character in one of my games jumping around the trees. This might sound quite stupid: but I have acctually cried because I never is going to be able to do that one game, but acctually it is not weird. It is like a unfillable dream. If it ever comes true (I am going to betatest Black & White, in September 2001, I hope it leads to something) I am going to thank you all: firends, parents, Shigero Myamato, Hideo Kojima, GameDev posters thourghout the ages, Shiny, everyone. It is silly that I walk into a wall like this when I have a dream like this and a game like this. "How do you reply to a post lie this one?" /Sebastian Jensen
-=Moogle=-
Advertisement
The Scrolling Game Development Kit (GameDev) is designed and developed by
Benjamin Marty. To access the main distribution point for all pieces related to
GameDev, visit http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/gamedev/ or visit the GameDev
homepage at http://gamedev.sourceforge.net/
I would advise to try to motivate some coders and artists in the Help Wanted forum...
If your dream is strong enough, then perhaps some of them might be interested. (I would be interested to hear more at least...)

If you are not a god you have to be several...

Moreover someone external may be better suited to see eventual design flaws, as we usually cannot appreciate well what we conceive ourselves.

Still if your dream is that good, then do not give up
------------------"Between the time when the oceans drank Atlantis and the rise of the sons of Arius there was an age undreamed of..."
Moogle,

Don''t give up! "Never give up, never surrender!!"
If it helps you any, here''s my story:
-I''ve wanted to make games ever since my school got computers when I was in the 5th grade. But I didn''t stand much of a chance. My schools sucked, my grades were D''s & C''s, and my home environment wasn''t the best and most supportive. Still, I kept tinkering and experimenting and learning. I was absolutely DETERMINED that I was going to make games.

I taught myself coding, and even though my skill was lousy and I didn''t have the same education as wealthier kids, I refused to quit. I wrote crappy arcade and text based games. I started projects and failed. I spent tons of time with Deluxe Paint trying to imitate the art in my favorite games. I tried to learn music / MIDI.

When I started work my first job was doing package shipping for a software company. Even though I didn''t have the same opportunities as others, I tried to keep myself NEAR software. Rather than CDs or clothes, I spent my money on programming books and software. I made a promise to myself that I was going to make it, no matter my deficiencies. "Determination will make up for lack of talent and luck." Seriously, I told myself this a lot.

I eventually made it. I''ve been a programmer for several game companies, and have been in on design as well. I happen to think that the industry right now is really messed up, which is why after four years in it I left. But I gained valuable knowledge and skill that will help me build my dream game on my own time. I got to see and work on the guts of REAL GAMES... to see how graphics are done, how AI is done for RTS and turn-based strategy games, all the work that it takes to handle graphical assets, etc (it''s hard, but not as mysterious as so many make it ). I got a chance to work with smart people-- artists, coders, biz guys-- and (hopefully) some of their wisdom rubbed off on me.

If you''re still with me after all of that... I want you to know that the most vital thing I learned had nothing to do with how to make a game. It had to do with developing faith in myself. I had to ask myself, "How much do I want this?" I''ve wanted it REALLY BADLY. I think about game making constantly, work on it when time allows, and post up a storm here where people are helpful and supportive.

I''m not saying that it''s easy, but I believe if you really want it you will find some way to make it happen. People will help you. You''ll learn that some things aren''t nearly as hard as you thought. Even when you quit (as I did a few times), if your desire is strong enough it will pull you back.

There are walls. But if you have faith in yourself, even though it make take some time, you will climb them!

--------------------
Just waiting for the mothership...
--------------------Just waiting for the mothership...
Wavinator has some good advice there.
I just have a couple of points though.

A good idea on paper doesn''t neccesarily translate into a good implementation. I''m not knocking your idea, especially since I don''t know what it is, but I''m just saying that a lot of ideas need lots of tweaking, or maybe don''t come out all that good when they are in an actual game. But don''t let that put you off, if you don''t try you will never know.

Secondly, I don''t understand how you can be betatesting Black & White in September when it is due to come out next month.

But anyway, just keep at it. Keep learning and don''t give up.
Gee Brain, what we gonna do tonight?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement