🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

future of the software business/what to do about piracy

Started by
38 comments, last by FallingFrog 23 years, 5 months ago
There is NOTHING theoretical about the money it costs to make a game.

No matter if you make hardware or software, the NUMBER 1 expense is always salary and other compensations.

Tim
President of his own software company who has to worry about countries like China not paying for his software.
Advertisement
There is NOTHING theoretical about the money it costs to make a game.

No matter if you make hardware or software, the NUMBER 1 expense is always salary and other compensations.

And another thing, software piracy has been around ever since the first piece of software was sold. Microsoft might have done a lot of work in software piracy laws, but it isn''t a Microsoft issue.

Tim
President of his own software company who has to worry about countries like China not paying for his software.

Do people own computers in china? Do they even have electricity?
The reason I said piracy costs people theoretical money is this:

When a shoplifter removes a product from a shelf without paying for it, the publishers paid money to print the boxes, manuals and CDs, the distributors paid money to warehouse and ship the things, the retailers paid money for rent and staff to unpack the thing and put it on a shelf, and all of that went to naught because some wank stole it. So all the money that went into physically manufacturing the product, moving it through the distribution chain and making it available to the customer has been lost.

When a pirate downloads a product illegally from a warez site, does it cost the publisher anything? Does it cost the distributor anything? Does it cost a retailer anything?

No.

In both cases, the publisher and developer are deprived of rightfully earned income, but in the latter case, they were not obliged to spend money making the product that was pirated as they were in the first case of the shoplifted product.

In many cases, pirates will treat warez as extended test drives of a product. Some will end up buying the product, in which case the act of piracy ended up costing nobody anything except possibly the interest that would have been earned by the purchase price over the time between the piracy and purchase, which is not likely to be more than a few pennies. In the case of shoplifting, how many shoplifters are ever going to legally buy a product they already unlawfully possess?

I don''t support piracy. I just dislike physical theft more.
Hi,

I have to totally disagree with the above post. Come on, you think the publishers/distributers don''t lose money because they haven''t made a few boxes and such? What about the developers. They definately lose money, through wages/resources. We are not talking about theoretical money at all.

What about the publishers who would have gone through all the statistics and figures and paid the developers to make the game, then only to find that their figures are thrown up in the air by pirates? Ok, so maybe it doesn''t hurt them as much as they say, but it does happen, not in theory either.

To be honest, I really can''t see how you think that these people who deal in warez are ''viewing the game with purchase in mind'' whoever told you that one is having a laugh with you.

This is not an attack on you personally, but more about my point, which is, pirates are wrong, not only morally but legally also. If you support these guys, or say that they are not technically stealing, well wake up. I really hope this sort of thing never happens to you guys, but if it did it would be interesting to see how you view it afterwards......

Marc.

Marc. Help Wanted template | Game development isn't easy! | Indie interviews
Bloodlust is back! -Leave your morals and political correctness at the door.

quote:
When a shoplifter removes a product from a shelf without paying for it, the publishers paid money to print the boxes, manuals and CDs, the distributors paid money to warehouse and ship the things, the retailers paid money for rent and staff to unpack the thing and put it on a shelf, and all of that went to naught because some wank stole it. So all the money that went into physically manufacturing the product, moving it through the distribution chain and making it available to the customer has been lost.

When a pirate downloads a product illegally from a warez site, does it cost the publisher anything? Does it cost the distributor anything? Does it cost a retailer anything?

No.

You pay for the everything, physically manufacturing the product, moving it throught the distribution chain and shipping it all cost stuff you agree? What about paying someone? That also costs something, does the programmer have to work for the pirate to get the game? Of course, was the programmer paid to work for the part of the game he required (read all of it) for the pirate to get the game? Yes. So where does the money come from? Who should pay for it?

quote:
In both cases, the publisher and developer are deprived of rightfully earned income, but in the latter case, they were not obliged to spend money making the product that was pirated as they were in the first case of the shoplifted product.

They weren''t obliged, but they had already spent the money.

quote:
In many cases, pirates will treat warez as extended test drives of a product. Some will end up buying the product, in which case the act of piracy ended up costing nobody anything except possibly the interest that would have been earned by the purchase price over the time between the piracy and purchase, which is not likely to be more than a few pennies. In the case of shoplifting, how many shoplifters are ever going to legally buy a product they already unlawfully possess?

So why should the pirates be allowed to have an extended test drive of a product?

But if the pirate takes the game illegally and decides that they don''t like the game, they won''t buy it, yet if they had of obeyed the law, then they would have forked out $$ for a game they don''t like. Is this fair? Yes. There are plenty of resources for picking out the good games, online reviews, demos and so on. And the truth in advertising laws (or maybe some other laws... not sure, I don''t do law ) mean you won''t get any less than is on the box.

Think about this:
Person A produces Product A which costs money to produce.
Person B buys Product A and sells it for the cost to produce it plus a bit more
Person C buys the product off person B.
Person B now has the money to pay for the Product and keep a bit
for their own troubles.
Person A was paid
Person B was paid
Person C got a product.
Wonderful.

Now what if it went more like this:
Person C steals Product A from Person B
Person B now doesn''t have the money to pay for the product, so they are at a loss
Person A sold the product to person B, so they got paid

or if it went like this:
Person C steals Product A from Person A
Person A loses money as product A cost them money
Person B loses money as the profit they would have made from selling product A to person C is no longer there.

Person A is the factory/games developer
Product A is a tin of food/game
Person B is the shop
Person C is the consumer

See how more people end up worse off when the consumer steals straight from the manufacturer (piracy)?

See how it doesn''t matter what the product is?

quote:
I don''t support piracy. I just dislike physical theft more.

That''s an opinion, so I can''t really prove that wrong, but I urge you to think more about what the differences and similarities are, and perhaps you will see differently.

Trying is the first step towards failure.
Trying is the first step towards failure.
First of all Open Source doesn''t mean free. How many people are capable of compiling and linking source code to something as complex as Quake?

Second, you can give out the source for free but charge for multimedia. There are millions of ways to make money.

Anyway, I''m for the model where you pay for software, but you pay for both binaries and source. (Although if my project ever gets completed, I don''t think I''ll be willing to sell my technology with game itself).
Game magazines can tell you if a game is good or not, and usually they''re pretty close. Usually a pirate won''t pay for something after its been pirated. Thats the whole point of pirating, not to test it out, or use it for educational purposes but to get it without paying for it. Sure they might not even buy it even if they couldn''t get a pirated version, but I think if someones going to spend the time and energy to find a game on the internet and download it they must want it a little,at least enough to shell out a few bux, and to find it and download it they must have heard it was pretty good. For the most part the majority of pirated games are top sellers.
Im pretty sure that there probably are more reasons for piracy, eg: a 10 year old can''t buy an M rated game cuz his parents won''t let him so he downloads it off the internet, he was willing to pay for it but couldn''t. Though that still doesn''t make it right.
*****confused by earlier errors, bailing out....*****
Sorry, if this has been suggested before or if it''s a bit off topic...just jumping in here. But I have also been thinking quite a bit on ways for (indie) game developers to make a living, other than shareware release.

What about the creation of free promotional games for commercial products? I know this done for the larger corporations like car manufactorers (having their cars featured in a racing game), etc.. but there are many small to medium sized companies that make toys/sports-related equipment, etc.. that could gain a lot of publicity from having their product featured in a free promotional game. Its sort of like having ads in the game, though the game is molded around the ad.

Has anyone ever done this? I wonder if companies would be responsive to the suggestion of having a game made to promote their product...and...if they would pay enough to make it worth-while for the developer?

-Tim Yarosh

Lucid Games
www.lucidgames.net
Well, as someone stated, piracy existed ever since the first commercial product. So it''s not like if game companies were not aware of it. They know their sales will get hurt because of piracy. If they can''t find a solution to it, then maybe they could start taking it into account, for the company that could mean avoiding huge losses (not saying this is the best solution, but at least it could help a bit).

Also, here''s the way I bought most of the games I have on my Playstation:

Person A produces Game A
Person B buys Game A off Person A
Person C buys Game A off Person B
Person C beats the game in two days and return it to Person B to get a partial refund
Person D buys Game A off Person B as a second-hand product

Person A is still the games developer
Person B is still the shop
Person C is still the consumer
and Person D is me, which got a LEGAL copy that I LEGALLY bought, yet the game developer didn''t a buck out of this. Now tell me the difference it makes with copying the game off a friend''s copy, or getting it from the net ?

Not to mention that I rarely play more than a week to the games I buy, because I get bored... maybe developers could improve their games durability by adding more hidden features or stuff like that, just like on older games, so that their replay value get worth buying the game. It doesn''t cost them much and it makes everybody happy
---All you base are belong to us !

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement