🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Stealth for an RPG-Like

Started by
1 comment, last by Nazrix 23 years, 6 months ago
This is an idea I''m playing with for an RPG-like game I am currently developing. I want thief characters to have a unique experience in the game. I haven''t completely thought it through, but here is what I am thinking so far on the subject of sneaking and using stealth: You will have many contributing things that determine whether you''re seen. There will be the stealth skill. Then, there will also be any noise you make (walking, picking a lock, etc). Finally there will be line of sight. So, the higher your stealth skill, the more you can do these things without being caught. The lower your stealth skill the more careful you''ll have to be when you do the things above. So, someone with a stealth that isn''t really great can make up for it by being really, really careful. They could always still be caught, but by being careful they help the chances of not being seen. Then once the stealth skill gets better, then you will have a lot better chance of not being seen. I''m not sure how all the math is going to work, but how do you like this so far? I am sort of going for some of the attributes of Thief mixed with skills. ---------------------------- "All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be --Pink Floyd Need help? Well, go FAQ yourself. Click here to see my current project.
Need help? Well, go FAQ yourself. "Just don't look at the hole." -- Unspoken_Magi
Advertisement
I like the idea that you wouldn''t be making stealth so absolute. Kind of like combat, where you can take or avoid risk as you think it''s necessary. That way, even if you do see a tempting target or tough group of guards, you still have something of a chance. It rewards ingenuity.

As I was reading I was thinking about signals (since I''m thinking about that alot for that RTS/RPG thing). Maybe you could do something where objects send out signals every time they''re manipulated (representing sound, or magic defense, etc.) You could even attach signals to every player action, like movement or attacking.

The main use of this seems to be that you could "dampen" the signals relative to the skill level of the player. If the AI responded to the signals based on their amplitude (a scream being high, a creaking door low, for ex.) this could be a type of strategy the player could use (like in creating a diversion).

I know it''s out in left field, but just a thought...

--------------------
Just waiting for the mothership...
--------------------Just waiting for the mothership...
quote: Original post by Wavinator
I like the idea that you wouldn't be making stealth so absolute. Kind of like combat, where you can take or avoid risk as you think it's necessary. That way, even if you do see a tempting target or tough group of guards, you still have something of a chance. It rewards ingenuity.

Yes, my thoughts exactly.

quote:
As I was reading I was thinking about signals (since I'm thinking about that alot for that RTS/RPG thing). Maybe you could do something where objects send out signals every time they're manipulated (representing sound, or magic defense, etc.) You could even attach signals to every player action, like movement or attacking.

The main use of this seems to be that you could "dampen" the signals relative to the skill level of the player. If the AI responded to the signals based on their amplitude (a scream being high, a creaking door low, for ex.) this could be a type of strategy the player could use (like in creating a diversion).

I am sort of doing that now. Basically I have a function that takes the parameters of the x and y coordinates of the stimulus and the type of stiumlus. I do already have it so that it is attatched to the player attacking, and I'll probably add many other things such as movement.

I also sort of have the "dampening" idea implemented. There is a radius that represents how far away the stimulus could be from the NPC and have them notice it. Although, I didn't think of altering the radius according to the player's skill. Not a bad idea at all...thanks

Also, when an NPC interprets a stimulus, it focuses on the source (if the stiumuls is audible and not visible) not where the player is. This will allow for the diversion thing. Also, the NPCs who are easily afraid (like regular townspeople) will run if the player does something to frighten them. As they run they emit a "help" stimulus. Then if another NPC such as a guard hears the "help" then the guard will go to where the NPC last heard the noise, not where the player is. So, by the time the guard gets there the player could be long gone or well hidden.

Looks like we were on the same Wavelength (I know...I hate puns too)

----------------------------

"All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be --Pink Floyd
Need help? Well, go FAQ yourself.

Click here to see my current project.

Edited by - Nazrix on January 7, 2001 7:20:39 PM
Need help? Well, go FAQ yourself. "Just don't look at the hole." -- Unspoken_Magi

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement