🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Whats wrong with the present????

Started by
9 comments, last by gavco98 23 years, 6 months ago
I cant help but feel that game designers hate the present. Most games seem to either be set way into the future or way in the past. I like real time strategy games, but hate it when they are futuristic, (Earth 2150) or set in the past (Age of Empires). Red Alert is about the only decent game set in the present, why cant there be more like it? I would much rather command a fleet of F16s and AEGIS cruisers than a Teleporting-BattleCruiser or medieval charriot. I guess i will just have to make this type of game myself!
Gavin Coates
[size="1"]IT Engineer / Web Developer / Aviation Consultant
[size="1"][ Taxiway Alpha ] [ Personal Home Page ]
Advertisement
The Reasne is if its in the present then we (The Game Makers) can not make up stuff, then its just not as much fun for us
and theres the fact that if its in the present its not taking you form the present and leting you have more fun..
For most

thats my idea

-VBLimits
Sorry about the Spelling..
www.VBLimits.com
-VBLimitsSorry about the Spelling..
You can SOMETIMES find a strategy game based in a fairly ''present'' setting. Usually, it''s World War 2 based. I don''t know of many games based on current year 2000 technology other than flight simulators. It sure would be a nice idea though I''m sure lots of people would like a game like that.
Less scope for plausible fabrication.
i agree. the pressent has some pretty scarey shit going on so why not talk about it? these futuistic games are great in their story telling but come on, the only one to accomplish this effectivly is starcraft really. midevil games are ok but get boring fast. the pressent is a great time to tell stories and it also makes the stories more close to home. ghost in the shell was actully set in the very early 21st century. there is nothing to say that robots of that caliber do not exist. Lain, another good example. it is set in the internet of today where the main character is soft ware that can interact with the real world.
there are tons of good premise but when telling a modernday story, it must be belivable. i like futureistic shit but i also like some of the shit that is out now. there is all kinds of potential.

I am not text, I am not organized pixels, I am not killed by turning off your monitor, I am not isolated by turning off your computer. I just am.

Conshape Electronic Arts

quote: Original post by gavco98

I cant help but feel that game designers hate the present. Most games seem to either be set way into the future or way in the past. I like real time strategy games, but hate it when they are futuristic, (Earth 2150) or set in the past (Age of Empires). Red Alert is about the only decent game set in the present, why cant there be more like it? I would much rather command a fleet of F16s and AEGIS cruisers than a Teleporting-BattleCruiser or medieval charriot.

I guess i will just have to make this type of game myself!

Sim City
That backstreet thug game
Racing games
Sport games
Spec Ops
I''m sure i could think up more.

As i''ve noticed, games based in today generally sell better anyhow because people know they can relate to them better. I personally would like to make a detective (PI) game with high action and adventure based in today''s day and age but might have to wait quite a while before i can.
The advantage to making games based on today is also the disadvantage - research. Research can make the game easier or harder to make/design depending on the designer''s methods, skills and knowledge.

A designer doesnt need to know everything about code, they just have to have an appreciation for its limitations and how those limitations affect features they may wish to include in their design. - Drew
I guess there are two reasons for this:
1. People who make games don't know a [edited] about the present world
2. They are lazy; instead of having to stick with the real world, they just invent their own, where they can do what they want, invent their own history etc.

Well, that doesn't mean that I'm different; I mean, these are the two reasons why I won't make my games play in the present, real world.

Edited by - MadKeithV on January 17, 2001 3:11:13 AM
--------------------------Ghosts crowd the young child's fragile eggshell mind...
The whole purpose of games is to escape reality so why put the player back into reality. Lets face it reality sux and the only way to escape it is through entertainment.
quote: Original post by gavco98

I would much rather command a fleet of F16s and AEGIS cruisers than a Teleporting-BattleCruiser or medieval charriot.

There was a 3D game just like this, that put you in command of realistic forces, that came out about eight months ago, I think. I didn''t pick it up, and I''m sorry I can''t remember the name (but it was VERY nice looking, and said to be both playable AND hardcore strategy).

Also, there''s MMO Sovreign coming out, which is an RTS with realistic units if I remember correctly. And Red Alert 2, although set in an alternate timeline with some pretty weird units, is all about tanks, aircraft carriers, grunts, and fighters.

--------------------
Just waiting for the mothership...
--------------------Just waiting for the mothership...
One of the biggest advantages to setting your game in an entirely fabricated world/time is not having so-called ''experts'' picking apart your world. There''s no way for them to say with any authority whether your simulation of a grav tank or a dragon is realistic, the way they can tell you that your simulation of a T-72 is complete BS.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement