🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

What's up with this philosophical rambling

Started by
25 comments, last by wannabe H4x0r 23 years, 6 months ago
Hey, this is forum is about game development, how to design them, what gameplay features to include, how to balance the rules, how to resolve technical issues, graphics problems, code optimizations... Why is there this huge long, halfyear long thread on the ethics of killing game monsters on this post? I would say a lot on the topic ''cept this ain''t the place to post it. Go to GDLounge to do that, this is Game -DESIGN- NOW, about THAT topic... diablo style games are STUPID. There is not the semblance of thot, its clicking and clicking on anything taht is moving until nothing is moving. At least FPS games require some skill in taking up strategic locations and hand-eye coordination and motor skills. hak and slash games are not that intelligent, they are pure and simple mindless action games, no more than Space Invaders with beefed up graphics, they are NOT RPGs. A real RPG would actually involve ROLE PLAYING (going around and talking to NPC''s and playing a role). Killing stuff by the click of doom and increasing ur hitpoints to like 5,000,000 by wasting like 200 game play hours of your life is stupid. RPG designers need to actually design games with ROPE PLAYING in them. If I wanted a combat game, I would buy an RTS. Will I ever get to play a role other than Serial Killer? Wouldn''t it be fun to play as a spy or something, who uses brains and tricky dialog instead of the Berserker Sword of Fury? okay, thats my bs for today
Advertisement
*stands behind asbestos wall*
*playing rope game to stay entertained *
* brings 50 gallon drum of gasoline *

Dude, Diablo was the best game of all time. Every game should be like it. Any other RPG is utterly inferior.

--------------------
Just waiting for the mothership...
--------------------Just waiting for the mothership...
The best RPG EVER is Suikoden for the PlayStation,
I love it, there is over 100 characters you can add to your party. Now thats a real RPG.
Well, by that definition, most games are RPGs. In Zelda, you play the role of link, and guess what? talk to NPCs, but Zelda is adventure. Get a better definition.

-----------------------------

A wise man once said "A person with half a clue is more dangerous than a person with or without one."

The Micro$haft BSOD T-Shirt
-----------------------------A wise man once said "A person with half a clue is more dangerous than a person with or without one."The Micro$haft BSOD T-Shirt
wannabe H4x0r at least had most of what he said on the totally true side. See, stradegy style games aren''t ''bad'', they just haven''t really made any really, truely good ones. I own both Diablo, and Diablo 2(illegally) and I think they are great games, but not because of there single-player. This is where many of you go terribly wrong. MULTIPLAYER IS WHAT WE WANT!!! Look at it, some of the greatest games of all time were what? Yes, multiplayer. Team Fortress, TFC, Counter-Striked(most played multiplayer game), Everquest, Tribes, and countless others. I am a Half-Life Mod coder, I make these things, and I will always believe that multiplayer is better. I mean thousands of hours of gameplay. I love mods, i mean half-life is a billion different games, because you can make your own and new ones are being released everday. There will never be the same ending, if any, and there will never be the same constant gameplay. I mean, we all agree quake changed the gaming culture, but it sure as hell sucked gameplay wise. That''s where mods came in, I mean TF, 4 years old, is still one of the best games. You can just have so much fun. I urge all of you developers to put in multiplayer, if not make a game that is just multiplayer. The only problem is, you have to have people playing, otherwise you get 2 people fighting eachother over and over, where it starts getting boring. But I urge all of you to make some kind of multiplayer, or if you have a good game, add the ability to make mods, it really isn''t that hard. Just make the engine call a dll and release the source code to the dll.
wannabe H4x0r at least had most of what he said on the totally true side. See, stradegy style games aren''t ''bad'', they just haven''t really made any really, truely good ones. I own both Diablo, and Diablo 2(illegally) and I think they are great games, but not because of there single-player. This is where many of you go terribly wrong. MULTIPLAYER IS WHAT WE WANT!!! Look at it, some of the greatest games of all time were what? Yes, multiplayer. Team Fortress, TFC, Counter-Striked(most played multiplayer game), Everquest, Tribes, and countless others. I am a Half-Life Mod coder, I make these things, and I will always believe that multiplayer is better. I mean thousands of hours of gameplay. I love mods, i mean half-life is a billion different games, because you can make your own and new ones are being released everday. There will never be the same ending, if any, and there will never be the same constant gameplay. I mean, we all agree quake changed the gaming culture, but it sure as hell sucked gameplay wise. That''s where mods came in, I mean TF, 4 years old, is still one of the best games. You can just have so much fun. I urge all of you developers to put in multiplayer, if not make a game that is just multiplayer. The only problem is, you have to have people playing, otherwise you get 2 people fighting eachother over and over, where it starts getting boring. But I urge all of you to make some kind of multiplayer, or if you have a good game, add the ability to make mods, it really isn''t that hard. Just make the engine call a dll and release the source code to the dll.
Check out the preview for "Blade of Darkness" at Computer Games Online. I think you might find this Diablo-like game a little more thought provoking. Or maybe not. You''ll have to read it to decide
You find yourself in a large room filled with GameDev regulars.

There is a horse lying here.
There is a whip lying here.

>X horse

The horse appears to be dead.

>X whip

It''s a nice sturdy riding crop.

>take whip

Taken.

>hit horse with whip

You beat the dead horse. Hilarity ensues.

1. I am the moderator here. Look at my handle. It does not say wannabe H4x0r. Hence, wannabe H4x0r, what you think about what goes in this forum and what doesn''t is pretty insubstantial. I''m the one that determines what goes here or not, and I enforce it quite religiously.
    The End Goblin Genocide thread is one of the gems on this forum. It is absolutely filled with game design views and ideas. I don''t see any reason, however remote, to think that it shouldn''t belong in this forum.
    Leave it to ME to decide what goes here, or I am likely to get annoyed.
  2. Saying "Game X is stupid" doesn''t get anyone anywhere. Diablo has been discussed to death (pun intended) in this forum. Whatever people like to say about this game, there is absolutely no denying that it was a HUGE success. So whatever you think about it, the general public obviously thought otherwise, or they wouldn''t have spent their hard-earned cash on it.
  3. Artoink, please remove any reference to software you own illegally. I take a very hard line on warez and copying. If you do not remove the reference (and the double post), I''ll do it myself, and keep your IP address in storage for future sanctioning. I don''t take kindly to people stealing from hard-working game designers.
    Note: there will also be NO discussion on this subject. No warez, final word. Anyone violating that rule will find their posts ruthlessly edited and their IP and nicks added to my black list. I have to keep a clean house here, most regulars know I''m fair about it.

I''m leaving this post open for the necessary editing. However, NOBODY add any more flamebait, however tempting it is.

People might not remember what you said, or what you did, but they will always remember how you made them feel.
    Mad Keith the V.
It's only funny 'till someone gets hurt.And then it's just hilarious.Unless it's you.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement