Advertisement

SF RPG: Skills & Advancement

Started by January 03, 2001 06:47 PM
16 comments, last by Wavinator 23 years, 8 months ago
Ahh SF = Starflight,

I'm a little slow. I wasnt sure anyone else remembered this game. I think an new/original/updated version of this would be awsome. Good luck. I'll watch your posts and give any feedback I can think of. I definatley think your advancement system should be more complex than the original. But not too much.

We have assumed control...

Ohh I guess SF = Sci Fi

confused once more.

I think Ill go now....

Edited by - The Lemurs on January 5, 2001 3:58:37 PM
We have assumed control...
Mumboi, as to morfe''s quote... you don''t want to know.

...although maybe you do!
Advertisement
quote: Original post by The Lemurs

Ohh I guess SF = Sci Fi

SF RPG == Science Fiction Role Playing Game, but old games like Starflight, Elite, Sentinel Worlds, and Escape Velocity are my inspiration.

(BTW, My long standing pet peeve is that 99.999% of all CRPGs are Tolkein fantasy, so I''m trying to do something about it!!!!)

--------------------
Just waiting for the mothership...
--------------------Just waiting for the mothership...
quote: Original post by mumboi

Hey morfe, where did you get the quote:
"NPCs will be inherited from the basic Entity class. They will be fully independent, and carry out their own lives oblivious to the world around them ... that is, until you set them on fire ..." ?

I love it =D

-Mumboi

From my Game Design Document

"NPCs will be inherited from the basic Entity class. They will be fully independent, and carry out their own lives oblivious to the world around them ... that is, until you set them on fire ..."
"When you are willing to do that which others are ashamed to do, therein lies an advantage."
"NPCs will be inherited from the basic Entity class. They will be fully independent, and carry out their own lives oblivious to the world around them ... that is, until you set them on fire ..." -- Merrick
(Back online)
Wavinator : Yep.

Basically, I think it''s really annoying to see pages of stats that you know are just ALL THE SAME anyway.
And yes, You should do the same with ships. Basically, the way it should work (IMHO) is only talk about what''s different from the norm. That''s how you''d deal with it in a RPG for instance. If I have a Federation cruiser to deal with, as a game master, I''ll just have a few typical profiles (engineer, security, scientist, etc), and maybe one or two NPC crew (The Doctor, a doctor with extra skills in Medicine, and he is a hologram. Belana is a super engineer, with an attitude. etc).
Similarly, ships are based on standard ships. Sometimes they''ll have some modifications to make them special, but that''s it.
For instance, in Epic 40K, there is a basic APC called the Rhino. From this transport, they later created the Predator, a rhino with a turret. They also created the Whirlwind, a Rhino with a missile launcher ramp. The only thing that change in the derived models are the turret.

Basically, I think you got the idea.

If you want to learn more, you can use the links I already gave you, and browse to the fan sites to see what it''s all about.

youpla :-P
-----------------------------Sancte Isidore ora pro nobis !
Sentinel Worlds RULES!!!

With that out of the way... If you do allow training via money and it is a multiplayer game, you will need to keep in mind the guy that has been playing for forever and has a billion mega-credits who can give some newbie a million creds and he can have himself an elite crew.

Also in almost every game I have played, earning money in the begining of games is difficult and later on it just flows like water. This is not necessarily a bad thing if the "making money" part of the game is replaced with something else that is equally fun.

Another simplification for huge fleet combats is just have an overall rating for your ships. Green, Regular, Veteran, Elite. You could also group similar ships into squadrons. I am not sure how big of a battle you want to end up with but those ideas might help.

Later,
Eck

P.S. By the way, very interesting
thread and game idea. I loved all
those old SciFi games mentioned so
let me know when you get done with
your game.

EckTech Games - Games and Unity Assets I'm working on
Still Flying - My GameDev journal
The Shilwulf Dynasty - Campaign notes for my Rogue Trader RPG

Advertisement
quote: Original post by ahw

Basically, I think it''s really annoying to see pages of stats that you know are just ALL THE SAME anyway.
And yes, You should do the same with ships. Basically, the way it should work (IMHO) is only talk about what''s different from the norm. That''s how you''d deal with it in a RPG for instance. If I have a Federation cruiser to deal with, as a game master, I''ll just have a few typical profiles (engineer, security, scientist, etc), and maybe one or two NPC crew (The Doctor, a doctor with extra skills in Medicine, and he is a hologram. Belana is a super engineer, with an attitude. etc).

Thanks ahw. I basically agree with you, but have a problem of mixing two models: You start with a single ship and crew, and they should be detailed enough to keep you interested. But you have the option of growing into a larger fleet, and that should be as you say so that players aren''t overwhelmed...

quote:
If you want to learn more, you can use the links I already gave you, and browse to the fan sites to see what it''s all about.

I will have to study this to see if there''s some solution. Thx again!

--------------------
quote: Original post by Eck

Sentinel Worlds RULES!!!

Yup!!!

quote:

With that out of the way... If you do allow training via money and it is a multiplayer game, you will need to keep in mind the guy that has been playing for forever and has a billion mega-credits who can give some newbie a million creds and he can have himself an elite crew.

Good point. I''m really reconsidering skill growth by money alone. Otherwise I will have to closely monitor money awards even in single player. I was trying to get away from this.

quote:
Also in almost every game I have played, earning money in the begining of games is difficult and later on it just flows like water. This is not necessarily a bad thing if the "making money" part of the game is replaced with something else that is equally fun.

There''s reputation as well. You can be rich, but that doesn''t mean everyone likes you. But I''m looking for ways to let the players always spend money, no matter how much they have...

quote:
Another simplification for huge fleet combats is just have an overall rating for your ships. Green, Regular, Veteran, Elite. You could also group similar ships into squadrons. I am not sure how big of a battle you want to end up with but those ideas might help.

I''d really like to do RTS fleet combat, but that may be bigger than what I can pull off. The more ships there are, the less any one ship can actually matter (and the harder special individuals are to keep track of).

Hmmm... this needs its own thread...

quote:
P.S. By the way, very interesting
thread and game idea. I loved all
those old SciFi games mentioned so
let me know when you get done with
your game.

Will do!

--------------------

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement