🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Turn Based Game

Started by
0 comments, last by Freeride Designs 23 years, 7 months ago
Has anyone ever played the game Dragons Breath, it was released on the amiga in 1990, and was made by palace software. Well anyways, I want to bring this game to the 21st century, and back on the amiga it was turn based, but I can''t decide if I should stick to the turnbased idea, or move onto realtime, any thoughts would be great, especially if you''ve played the original game. ----------------
Freeride Designs
----------------
----------------
Black Edge Games
----------------
Advertisement
Ihavent ever played/seen the game Dragons Breath.

But I''m did start trying to do a similar thing with another old turn based game. But (luckily?) it''s evolving into something quite different.

Whats this got to do with my post? you ask (well if you didnt I''m still gonna answer it)

What I found out was this: When trying to decide between a Realtime and a Turnbased model for your game, consider..

* How close to the original are you going to stick (and more importantly is this going to cause any copyright issues should u release it).

* How much of the way the original Turn based game worked is it feasable to make RTS without taking up the players time with ''useless'' stuff.

EXAMPLE: In the Stratergy game I was converting (I no longer think of my self as converting an old game, but coming up with a new game, cuz it bares only some resemblance now) Units have an inventory, and in turnbased it was fine for the user to fiddle arround with a units inventory, however the ammount of time this takes is unfeasable in an RTS, and so I had to either leave it out or change it. I changed it, so the units automatically selected the best weapon available for thier combat situation (e.g. if I ordered them to attack another unit which is outside a given range and they had a bow, they would change weapons to the bow and start to open fire).
NightWraith

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement