🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

A quick question!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Started by
4 comments, last by Captain Monkey Chops 23 years, 7 months ago
Hey, Thanks for readin'' this message,im currently working on a RPG and i just wanted to know what you lot think are important factors to include in an RPG. Cheers CMC
Chops Monkey Captain?Monkey Captain Chops?You get the idea
Advertisement
sorry, I''m a strategy lover. btw - someone bump this over to the Game Design forum will ya?

==============================
"Need more eeenput..."
- #5, "Short Circuit"
Blade Edge Software

Drew Sikora
Executive Producer
GameDev.net

gaiiden, that was not nessisary. the elements that make a prime rpg is the story and a gameplay engine that helps the player to realize that story. the best games make a lot of the gameplay part of the story. unity is basically what im getting at.

I am not text, I am not organized pixels, I am not killed by turning off your monitor, I am not isolated by turning off your computer. I just am.

Conshape Electronic Arts

hey it wasn''t a put-down. I didn''t say I hated RPGs. Just trying to keep some unity in the forums, s''all. I think he would get better responses if he posted in the Game Design forum - don''t you?

"Need more eeenput..."
- #5, "Short Circuit"
Blade Edge Software

Drew Sikora
Executive Producer
GameDev.net

Traditonally, I think they are...

* Story
* Different types of gameplay (not just combat, or you''ll get the Diablo rant)
* Interesting NPCs
* Non-repetitive gameplay (see any "Diablo''s not an RPG rant")
* Lots of resource sinks - Provide lots of ways to spend resources so the player doesn''t get ultrarich & bored)
* Lots of customization - Name, body type, species, clothing style

Even for the most simple RPG I''d like to see...

* More options to solve problems w/ diplomacy
* More detailed tactical combat
* More perks and bonuses during character growth
* Something more original than yet another Tolkein rip-off!!!
(sorry, that''s a personal rant)

--------------------
Just waiting for the mothership...
--------------------Just waiting for the mothership...
Controversial opinion alert:

If you have to ask what the ''important factors'' for a certain type of game are, then maybe you shouldn''t be making that kind of game in the first place. It implies that you have no strong opinion or direction on it, which means that it is likely to suffer from a lack of focus. (ie. end up as another ''technology demo.) And everyone has their own opinions, which may or may not agree with yours, so I''m not sure asking such questions is a productive activity....

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement