Advertisement

Best engine for single player?

Started by January 03, 2001 12:52 PM
12 comments, last by SoulmasteR 23 years, 8 months ago
You should also remember that many complete games have been written in unreal tournament, Deus Ex, Wheel of Time, and one of those star trek games. Now Deus Ex had A LOT of programming just because of the sheer number of things which they had to add, but quite a bit of it was done just using UnrealEd. Wheel of Time had some sound programming but not too much. And you can modify the monster AI fairly easily. Hopefully, though. you are planning to release as freeware, unless you can fork up 300k.
Alot of the engines mentioned are open. There would be nothing stopping you adding the features you needed.

Half-life is the Quake engine with colour lighting, skeletal animations, enhanced 16bit software renderer, hub based level design and custom A.I scripts amongst other enhancments.

To say that Quake III Engine has no single player facility is absurd.

Heavy Metal : FAKK2 Ritual added a new scripting engin for engine cut scenes, creature behaviour and level construction. The game is single player (now with multiplayer patch)

Alice, Q3:A engine, single player only. Uses rituals scripting engine.

Star Trek Voyager, again this is single player, with a custom scripting system.

Unreal engine is proving popular again due to it''s versatitity, with X-Com (stratagic) and Duke Nukem (eventually)

If you''re off making a game/mod choose the technology based on your design rather than trends, Half-Lifes engine is getting on, but that hasn''t stopped the bucket load of mod developers reaching for it.

Anyway, good luck whatever you choose

I''ll stop typing now.

www.stephen-hawes.co.uk
Advertisement
without much programming, trying Half-life. I believe the Quake engine is now public source, but your programmers would still have alot of work, and you can''t use it to make money.

Half-life has alot of what you''re already asking, if you''re low on coders, might be best.

Hope this helps.

www.stephen-hawes.co.uk
Thank you very much for your support! 8)

We now consider taking the Halflife Engine, but if it comes to a commercial issue then something like the Genesis 3D engine would be better. Does anyvbody know the Genesis 3D engine? o_O

Anyway we will first finish all necessary documents (story, descriptions etc.) before choosing (finally) the engine. And we will do models and graphics in advance, because they are not dependent on the engines.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C- beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -- Blade Runner

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement