Advertisement

Licensing and junk

Started by October 03, 2005 11:43 AM
1 comment, last by superpig 18 years, 11 months ago
I've been downloading and using a few models from Polycount, but many of the models include special licenses that let you use and distribute the model all you want as long as you don't sell it or tamper with it (can't remove files from the .pk3, etc). Also, some of the models include sounds that might be copyrighted by id that I can't remove due to the model's license. What are the general rules for including models like this in my entry? If a model contains copyrighted materials created by someone other than the model creator am I still able to use it? What about models that don't have any sort of license agreement included?
I like the DARK layout!
Quote: Original post by BradDaBug
What are the general rules for including models like this in my entry? If a model contains copyrighted materials created by someone other than the model creator am I still able to use it? What about models that don't have any sort of license agreement included?

If you are using materials that you reasonably suspect might be infringing on someone elses rights, ask them for a copy of their permissions, or have a lawyer help with a declaration that they hold those rights. If in doubt, don't use it.

With NO license:
The person who made the model owns the copyrights (unless they are infringing on somebody else's rights). Copyright law covers distribution and derivative works. That means you can't distribute it with your game or make a substantially similar model based on theirs without their permission. Most people will let you use their model in exchange for credits, but you need to ask.

With a license:
They still own the copyright, and are giving the requirements for use. Meet those requirements and you can use the grants of the license. Again, if you aren't sure about their own legality, ask them if they have permission and possibly get a declaration that they hold those rights.
Advertisement
Quote: Original post by BradDaBug
I've been downloading and using a few models from Polycount, but many of the models include special licenses that let you use and distribute the model all you want as long as you don't sell it or tamper with it (can't remove files from the .pk3, etc).
That's probably OK. Check the legal text on the contest page. Simply put, we need to be able to use your entry to promote the site.

Quote: Also, some of the models include sounds that might be copyrighted by id that I can't remove due to the model's license.
Those are almost definitely not usable. The creator of the pack is probably infringing iD's copyright by distributing those sounds, but you would be infringing it as well by continuing to distribute them.

Quote: If a model contains copyrighted materials created by someone other than the model creator am I still able to use it?
Only if the original owner of the copyrighted materials granted the model creator the right to both distribute the content and to give to others the right to distribute that content. In your example, iD need to have told your model guy, "You can use them, and you can let other people use them too."

Quote: What about models that don't have any sort of license agreement included?
They're either copyright of the author, though the author may have intended to release the copyright into the public domain. If it's not clear, you should ask them.

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement