🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

New Game Project : Needing Suggestions

Started by
9 comments, last by kabale 23 years, 6 months ago
We're working on a new game... I already mentioned this game idea in a post... Work title : "Master of Desaster" *hehe* Main Infos : The player can choose different "Desaster Effects" to use on a virtual city (3D, simple design). There are some 'missions' to complete (i.e. destroying a target building)... Game Concept : Not finished yet... Probably the "Desaster Effects" will cost points, the player earns this points in some way to get more effective "Effects"... Now it's your turn : We need ideas for the "Desaster Effects" ...they shouldn't be too complicated, cause we have to write a pretty physics-engine... C'mon & Post ! Edited by - kabale on 12/18/00 2:14:24 PM
Advertisement
Ummm... you mean like lava spouting from the ground, volcanoes, tornadoes, tidal waves, lightning storms, and plagues of locusts?

--------------------
Just waiting for the mothership...
--------------------Just waiting for the mothership...
Natural disasters (sorry, there''s a pun in that) would be things like setting off an earthquake or tornado. On coastal areas, maybe a flood even.

Then you can get into the fun part:

Take a cue from SC2000 and put in an alien attack.
Maybe you (as the player) could hire terrorists. This opens a whole new realm of possibilities. (this is going to be the main point here)

I''m going to assume that as some kind of a reason for destroying buildings, you are being paid by the building. (Maybe even do carmageddon-style where you get extra for "combos" or overkill, damaging passers-by or adjacent buildings/lots.) Therefore, terrorists can be hired and damage buildings according to cost:

Basic ("cheap") terrorists: Fledgling anarchists. They use homemade napalm, maybe even a little plastic explosive (they use the internet Anarchist''s Cookbook.) Can only damage small buildings.

Level 1 (need a better name) terrorists: A little more creative. Professional explosives, dynamite. Damages bigger buildings.

... (various levels go here, not sure how many we can brainstorm here)

Top-notch terrorists: take out about anything. Plant bombs in the building, use car-bombs, whatever. Can take out virtually anything.

Special terrorists: take a building hostage rather than destroy it. This could be worked in as a separate objective.

For a multi-player game (ooh, we''re expanding our horizons!) mafia people could be hired to "whack" opposing terrorist teams. Naturally, they wouldn''t be any use against natural "desasters" or aliens, but vs. terrorists, they would be.

Maybe I''ll think of more later. Until then...
WNDCLASSEX Reality;......Reality.lpfnWndProc=ComputerGames;......RegisterClassEx(&Reality);Unable to register Reality...what's wrong?---------Dan Uptonhttp://0to1.orghttp://www20.brinkster.com/draqza
*lol* yepp... but don't you think that we had already thought of the desasters you're talkin' about?

OK, OK, I didn't mentioned them in my post... *hehe*

[This post is for Wavinator... you're too fast, draqza ]

Thinking is already a material process

Edited by - kabale on December 18, 2000 4:01:42 PM
*Humph!* I feel challenged!

Disasters:

"Mind Control Riot" - Spawn looting and rioting throughout sections of the city

"Airburst" - Explosion that sucks all the oxygen out of an area, asphyxiating people, shattering windows , and collapsing weaker structures. Use near glass high-rises for that nifty razor shard effect.

"Nanophage" - Whirlwind of metal dissolving micro-robots turn everything into warm goo. Takes awhile to affect, but once done buildings slowly melt to slag.

"Demolition Man" - Well placed explosion on the side of a building makes it fall over and damage whatever''s in it''s path. Works great for really big skyscrapers that cover a lot of territory as they fall.

"Code Lock" - Massive computer failure. Trains stop running, people get stuck in subways, traffic collisions occur all over the city. Mass insanity! Financial collapse!

Okay, have I redeemed myself?

--------------------
Just waiting for the mothership...
--------------------Just waiting for the mothership...
*lol* you''re good, man, you''re gooood !

Thinking is already a material process
What about some psychological effects? Like setting all people to be depressive or melancholic...

Or maybe time-speeding: some areas would get old very fast, with interesting effects: buildings crumble, plants grow very large...

Or litte black holes...

Or a super nova: massive UV (or even worse) rays...

What about an interesting game: the whole population just wants to play it and does nothing else...

Or a film, the crowd gets so excited about they all run to watch... ;-)

------------------------------
www.BadEntertainment.net

------------------------------

There are only 10 kinds of people: those that understand binary and those that don't.

Asteroids (funky effect as they zoom in from behind the camera)

How about a mega super villain (think Galactus) decides its time the city got destroyed...

For a finale, you could borrow some from the bible, three final warnings before a great disaster.

Two words, King Kong.

Plant life gone crazy, starts coming into the city and consuming it.

(wacky ideas, but workin on a super hero game like Freedom Force 12 hours a day can do that to ya ;P)

Drew "remnant" Chambers
Game Designer
Irrational Games
Drew "remnant" ChambersGame DesignerRelic Entertainment
Time to dredge this thread up...

I was actually just wondering about what you have so far on your game, or if you''ve decided what disasters you''re going to use. The only new idea I had was stolen by Drew...I''ve been reading the Left Behind books and several of the 21 judgements could be used as disasters (they''d have to be one-shots, though).
--

WNDCLASSEX Reality;
Reality.lpfnWndProc=ComputerGames;
RegisterClassEx(&Reality);

Unable to register Reality...what''s wrong?
---------
Dan Upton
Lead Designer
WolfHeart Software
WNDCLASSEX Reality;......Reality.lpfnWndProc=ComputerGames;......RegisterClassEx(&Reality);Unable to register Reality...what's wrong?---------Dan Uptonhttp://0to1.orghttp://www20.brinkster.com/draqza
Two words, Project Mayhem. If you don?t get that then two more words, Fight Club, still not getting it? (An underground army plot to destroy the buildings containing the head offices of all major credit cards. Wipe out the credit record and we all go back to zero. A little of the "natural" theam but still fun

As Mr Cup always says,
''''I pretend to work. They pretend to pay me.''''
As Mr Cup always says,''I pretend to work. They pretend to pay me.''

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement