Advertisement

Possible Time Extension

Started by August 01, 2005 09:26 PM
28 comments, last by xCronus 19 years, 1 month ago
Ok, I know this might just get a NO, but is there any chance of a time extension for 4E4? I know the date is probably set in stone because of the participation of sponsors, but I know it would help my team put out a better overall game (less quirky features, more time to tweak). Even though this seems a little early to say tweaking, I am taking into account the fact that school and work are about to come back up for most people in the fall etc etc. So.....
Wouldn't that be a little unfair on those of us who are working towards the given deadline? Part of the contest is planning so that you'll be able to finish your product by that date.

- Jason Astle-Adams

Advertisement
Well, this contest has a pretty fair deadline. The last one really needed the extension...
gsgraham.comSo, no, zebras are not causing hurricanes.
I've been considering entering the contest because I"ve had an itch to do it for a while. The only problem is that I haven't had time up until recently. I'd like to enter and any time extension whether it be a day or a month will help out.

Plus it gives those who are putting together massive projects a little more time to work with and make even better entries.

Go time extension ^_^
I wasted 2 months writing an engine I won't even use (for this contest). Still, screwing up is half the fun.
___________________________________________________David OlsenIf I've helped you, please vote for PigeonGrape!
Rules are rules. I'm not a judge so I'm not speaking as a rules maker but I'd guess that Kevin will not offer extensions on the time. I suppose to some degree it's an exercise in time management. Sometimes you have to scale back your plans to accomodate deadlines.

Besides, it wouldn't be fair to all of those who are working toward that deadline.. *especially* if they already have in a built-in buffer of time to perfect their entry.

---
Michael Tanczos
Advertisement
NO. No time extensions. I'm sure that more time would help everyone's team make a better game, but it has to stop somewhere. Mike's pretty much spot-on - we're indirectly judging your ability to schedule your project with this.

There's still three whole months to go. You may have school and suchlike to cope with coming up; some people have full day jobs to work around, and have had them throughout the competition. You have the easy time of it.

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

Do you accept bribes?
Oh trust me...thats exactly what I'm doing.

And just for precedence, 4E2 had a one month time extension. It helped out a lot of people and allowed more people to enter. If I remember correctly, it was Kevin who initiated the 1 month extension.

My offer is still valid.
That's because Kevin's just a big softie.

4E2 was two months long. This one's five months, which you can probably see is more than twice as long. I'm sure that any time extension of any amount would help someone get their entry into a mildly more finished state, but the line needs to be drawn somewhere. If we grant a one month extension, somebody will ask for an extra week on top of it because of some excuse, "and you already extended it one month, an extra week can't hurt," and before you know it the thing just falls apart.

The people who undertook massive projects should have known that they'd only have five months from the beginning in which to complete them. If they've got more work planned than can be squashed into the available time, that's unfortunate but it's their own fault.

Bear in mind that people are perfectly free to continue working on their games after the contest is finished. The time limit doesn't compromise the quality of the game, only of what they manage to enter.

I'll admit to not having talked this over with Kevin because he's very busy at the moment, so if you're absolutely determined you could try and persuade him to overrule me on this. But I think you'd have a hard time of it.

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement