🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Professionalism

Started by
31 comments, last by Wavinator 23 years, 7 months ago
I think what he was trying to say is that money is a TOOL. Something we created because it made life easier, not because we needed another idol to worship.
I work because I like my job, not because I get paid. If I wanted money so bad, I''d be a computer technician, even a programmer. I wouldnt be trying to become a lecturer.
If you work for money, I am sorry, but whatever you are doing is no different from prostition, is it ?

Money is the tool, and you are the one using it. Not the other way around !

youpla :-P
-----------------------------Sancte Isidore ora pro nobis !
Advertisement
I dunno...I just got finished with a childrens title for Mattel...I''m not part of the target audience (8 to 12), but I had a blast doing the design work for it...I think it''s all what you make of it. Unfortuanatly, for those of us in the Industry find ourselves doing these types of projects more than something we''d really like to work on.

Then again...most of my ideas are complex, and not an easy sell to a publisher.

Brian Tuey

Project Wednesday
http://www.mp3.com/ProjectWednesday

Gigawatt Studios
http://www.gwatt.com
quote: Original post by Gregor_Samsa

Maybe I''m on my own here. Maybe I just have an impossible dream. But, I would love to see game design change. Designers, programmers, graphic artists, sound artists, writers, and maybe even others should work damn hard day in, day out to make the best game they possibly can. Who cares if it makes a penny? What does money really matter in the end. Our society is much to obsessed with material things these days. They forget that there is so much more.

This is a nice idea, but in the real world we have to make money to pay our bills.

Being a game designer is no different than being any other kind of artist. Take writers, for example. Very few professional writers can put food on the table selling novels and short stories. Most have to write travel pieces, op ed pieces, advertising and the like.

It''s said that even Ernest Hemmingway got his start writing automotive repair manuals. That may or may not be true, but the example is apt.

Good writers, talented professionals, attack these mundane subjects with the same dedication and passion that they do their personal work. That''s what makes them good writers, instead of dilletantes.

Just like writers, we should strive to learn whatever we can from our money gigs. Good writers hone their craft on these assignments. Similarly, good game designers can hone their skills on projects they might otherwise find uninteresting. The problems of user interface design, fulfilling audience expectation, team management, effective communication etc. apply to every project. If you build these skills on someone else''s dime, it increases the likelihood of success when you *do* get the opportunity to implement your vision. Or you can be a prima donna. The choice is yours.

Jason
Jason ShankelMaxis/EA

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement