🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Intel and AMD

Started by
20 comments, last by Blade Runner 23 years, 7 months ago
For those of you that are power hungry and are tired of waiting for Intel to relase the new P4s. Stop on by yoiur local computer store and pick up the new AMD processor, well not actulay new but much faster. The name AMD Athlon DDR these computers top the 1 GHz mark with much more power than your normal 1 Gig computers. 200MHz of system process of memory on 128MB of Ram. AMD is slowly but surely gainning ground on Intel. Edited by - Blade Runner on 11/19/00 10:34:37 PM
--------------------------I shall thrash his bloody head in, cut it from upon his shoulders, and as his blood flows effortlessly down my blade, I shall taste it's sweetness. Blade Runner’s Entertainment Nothing much right now...
Advertisement
Hrm, is the TBird out yet? I cant wait, although its gonna cost as much as my computer, ill bet.

-----------------------------

A wise man once said "A person with half a clue is more dangerous than a person with or without one."

The Micro$haft BSOD T-Shirt
-----------------------------A wise man once said "A person with half a clue is more dangerous than a person with or without one."The Micro$haft BSOD T-Shirt
I think it is i haven''t been to into the TBird but it should be out i did some computer somewhere on the internet that had the name TBird so maybe it is out...jusmp on it.
--------------------------I shall thrash his bloody head in, cut it from upon his shoulders, and as his blood flows effortlessly down my blade, I shall taste it's sweetness. Blade Runner’s Entertainment Nothing much right now...
Tbirds are out, they actually cost less then a regular athalon slot-A processor for the most part

--------------------------

Whats a pretty girl like you doing in a dirty mind like mine?
Those who dance are considered insane by those who cannot hear the music.
I am sitting in front of a TBird 800... Bought it in July

A true dream machine I must say (well the coolest thing I''ve ever bought, which isn''t surprising being a highschool student)

I still got one of the old series, it''s a Slot A T-Bird (!).
They were actually only meant for OEM (they were considerably chaper than the K7 even at the time) but stores here usually don''t give a damn about OEM/non-OEM...

- JQ, PWC Software
"programming is all about wasting time" -me
~phil
Hrm, I want 64-bits of processing power....

-----------------------------

A wise man once said "A person with half a clue is more dangerous than a person with or without one."

The Micro$haft BSOD T-Shirt
-----------------------------A wise man once said "A person with half a clue is more dangerous than a person with or without one."The Micro$haft BSOD T-Shirt
I think this next summer I would like to get a new motherboard and processor, something that supports AGP x4. I think it is time to upgrade my cel 466...

What do you guys think?

"Never pet a burning dog." - Warcraft II
Hay, i''m back man school is annoying very time consuming when you want to code and stuff but anyway glad to see you found the TBird, man so did you get it? i say you should get 256MB of Ram; well that''s what i have a desire for right now i''m operating at 128MB of Ram which is not enough when considering the programs we run these days such as Napster, Internet, Compliers, and 3D Animation/Modeling software.

AMD makes what i consider to be the best Motherboards on earth.
quote: Original post by Moe

I think this next summer I would like to get a new motherboard and processor, something that supports AGP x4. I think it is time to upgrade my cel 466...

What do you guys think?

"Never pet a burning dog." - Warcraft II

I say go for but that is only just me i am one who likes fast computers, but be carful when trading one processor for another could bring you more headaches than you thought it would have brouth you. A 466 Celeron processor is not to bad of a processor, unless your running mad crazy games that require alot of power to run at a good frame rate that is not to jumpy.

Edited by - Blade Runner on November 17, 2000 11:43:11 PM
The TBird is 64bits architecture??
I thought they were a socket7 version of the athelons...

And AMD has dramatically increased its market share in the enthusist market, but not in the business or server sectors. Those sectors are where the majority profits are; the margin is lower, but the volume is *much* higher. So they are making a little bit of money, but are far from digging intel''s grave...

The L3 cache (which is missing on Celeries & Dumbons) makes a significant performance (& cost...) difference. A 550MHz K6-2 is slower than a 450MHz K6-3. If you play games, you''re better off buying a slower athelon or PIII, than a faster celeron or duron.

If you have something that''s ~500Mhz or faster, buying a GeForce will probably give better throughput than a faster chip. x2 or x4 AGP MB would be important too...
- The trade-off between price and quality does not exist in Japan. Rather, the idea that high quality brings on cost reduction is widely accepted.-- Tajima & Matsubara

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement