🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

rpgs suck

Started by
8 comments, last by lakibuk 23 years, 8 months ago
there are many rpgs,which are popular and sell well. like square soft rpgs for example. but the whole genre has one big problem: the gameplay is the same in all of the games. just wandering around,killing enemies,raising your levels. to me that''s really boring. or am i wrong and there are some games which offer a more interesting game concept ?
Karl - Blueskied Games | my german site: Gratis Spiele
Advertisement
yes, we''ve been discussing this in intricate detail for at least 6 months or so...

"All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be --Pink Floyd

"Though the course may change sometimes, the rivers always reach the sea" --Led Zeppelin

Need help? Well, go FAQ yourself.
Need help? Well, go FAQ yourself. "Just don't look at the hole." -- Unspoken_Magi
Hmmm, I wonder if he had read any of our threads on scrapping genres or maybe even The GDCorner RPG[-like] Doc (HTML version here)...

It seems to me that everybody agrees on this point

Edit - Sorry all, I fixed up that link... Back to yaz all

-Chris Bennett of Dwarfsoft - Site:"The Philosophers' Stone of Programming Alchemy" - IOL
The future of RPGs - Thanks to all the goblins over in our little Game Design Corner niche

Edited by - dwarfsoft on October 30, 2000 4:06:06 AM
no,didn''t read it.
thought i was coming up with something totally new ;-)
Karl - Blueskied Games | my german site: Gratis Spiele
HTML version gets a 404

My Homepage

Visit my forums
I fixed the link, thanks for the notification. It was voodoo4''s and I forgot to put the /~ancientcode/FutureRPG/ bit in . My bad

-Chris Bennett of Dwarfsoft - Site:"The Philosophers' Stone of Programming Alchemy" - IOL
The future of RPGs - Thanks to all the goblins over in our little Game Design Corner niche

Im afraid that there doesnt appear to be a great deal of games that differ from this philosopy. Although, i do agree with you. There should be a point other than to kill kill kill. realistically you are not going to run into a thing that really wants to kill you that badly. come on.

I am not text, I am not organized pixels, I am not killed by turning off your monitor, I am not isolated by turning off your computer. I just am.

Conshape Electronic Arts

I''m still working on my RPG rant... I''ll post it somewhere when I''m done.

- DarkMage139
++++++++++++++++
"Shut up and give me the freakin code" -unknown
"Ask and you will be shot" -snes16bit
"Not again!" -SHilbert (upon being assimilated)
"Nazrix is cool." - Nazrix
"You've only seen the beginning" -The Dark Lord of RPGs
"I'm gonna go get high on Squaresoft games" - ILoveNataliePortman
- DarkMage139
quote: Im afraid that there doesnt appear to be a great deal of games that differ from this philosopy. Although, i do agree with you. There should be a point other than to kill kill kill. ..... - F.E.

How else would you remove players from the game? -And will typical RPG players thank you for it?
~The problems I hear of with the current types is that people complain of being bored. And many of the suggestions given usually involve giving greater numbers of players even more room to wander, with less requirements as to what they have to do. I don''t see that as being any improvement. - Lubb
RPD=Role-Playing-Dialogue. It's not a game,it never was. Deal with it.
I have a real problem when people make generalizations... and this is one.

Not all RPGs suck. <- See the period, I could stop there but I won''t.

I was flipping through the pages of PC Gamer and stumbled onto a two page add for a game called "Siege of Avalon". I decided to take a look at the web site. The first thing that I saw was Get chapter 1 here free , interesting, I thoght to myself.

I downloaded it (it''s 94MBs for those of you who have fast connections and for those of you who do not, sorry.) and after the first 5 minutes of playing, I was sucked in!

These guys have put together a game that is fun to play and is smart. The graphics are very nice and the game is very easy to navigate. There is a problem with the graphics engine (at least on my AMD k6 450 w/ Voodoo 3 PCI) as it occassionaly shears the tiles. But! The game is fantastic! As I said it is smart... The NPCs all talk to you and remember that they have talked to you! Very nice!

I looked further on the page and discovered that they are in Houston, TX and are currently seeking game programmer... I might just send my resume in (as our MPOW is getting the cold sholder from some of the owners and I don''t have a problem jumping ship when I came here specifically to "DO GAMES!" )

Anyway... give the game a look and see if you think it suck!

Dave "Dak Lozar"Loeser
Dave Dak Lozar Loeser
"Software Engineering is a race between the programmers, trying to make bigger and better fool-proof software, and the universe trying to make bigger fools. So far the Universe in winning."--anonymous

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement