🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Down with realism threads!

Started by
31 comments, last by kill 23 years, 8 months ago
"A good artist can draw all the details. A great artist draws only the details that you''ll remember." - Unknown
- Lubb
RPD=Role-Playing-Dialogue. It's not a game,it never was. Deal with it.
Advertisement
nicely put

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of the dreams."
- Willy Wonka
I absolutly hate looking at all the games sitting on the store shelf...nothing really seems to stand out...for the most part they all try to create a near photo real game experience...but in the end they seem to all share from the same image...as if only a few people do the artwork for some 90% of the games made

I''ve sead it before..the key to game immersion is connecting with the player''s imagination...fortunatly there are millions of ways to do just that..sound effects, music, and writeing are just some non-graphical ways...

Picaso painted very detailed, and nearly photo-realistic paintings before he developed his later well known style...currently game art needs to diversify, feed from, and develop new artistic styles...trying to make game graphics more photo-real is a dead end road...so you build a near photo-real 3D model for charactor X...and when he speaks in the game you hired a talented voice actor to play the part...you even have a lip synch system in place to enhance the "realisam" of charactor conversations...you''ve even worked for over a year to add weighted verticies and other such techno-geek things to allow the charactors to convay emotions realisticly...but all that effort did was take time, money, and talent away from createing deep, fun, and involveing gameplay dynamics [the stuff that really counts in games]...

I personally will loath the day that all game designers have forgotten all the magical elements that got us playing "Tag" and "Hide and Seek" as children...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement