🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

What races should be in our RPG??

Started by
19 comments, last by NobleTrunkz 23 years, 8 months ago
We at Noble Entertainment are going to let you guys help us choose what races should be in the RPG. =) Good Characters ----------------- 1. ? 2. ? 3. ? 4. ? 5. ? Bad Characters ---------------- 1. ? 2. ? 3. ? 4. ? 5. ? Cool Creatures =) ---------------- 1. ? 2. ? 3. ? 4. ? 5. ? 6. ? 7. ? 8. ? 9. ? 10. ? 11. ? 12. ? 13. ? 14. ? 15. ? 16. ? 17. ? 18. ? 19. ? 20. ? 21. ? 22. ? 23. ? 24. ? 25. ?
=) =) NobleTrunkz =) =)
Advertisement
Good Characters
-----------------
1. Goblins!
2. Orcs
3. Lizard-type guys
4. Giants
5. some Humans

Bad Characters
----------------
1. some Humans
2. Dwarfs
3. Elves
4. Demons
5. Faires

But seriously, why divide the different races into good or bad? Isn''t that a little boring? It''s much more fun to have a lot of factions whos goals are unknown to the player (in SP) or let the player decide by his/her actions how his people is percieved by other players (MP). It would be fun to see a game that approached this in an original way...

Cool Creatures =)
----------------

Ah, the all time favorite (and time/creativity-consumer) when it comes to designing a Cool Game
There''s a lot of stuff you can think of to stuff into this section, on way is to just think of two totally incompatible beings, morph them together and then add some fun attributes.
For example, a cat/chicken with a poor sense of direction...

Well, good luck with your game, and hope my comments were helpful (yeh, right ).
I seriously suggest that you let the game itself decide what kind of races it will support. Once you start to just input which races you or others want, it''ll feel less real. I think what you should do is just create a completely real world. Not realistic etc, but real, meaning that you give an explanation (if not to the players at least to yourself as the designer) for why everything is what it is.

You can use evolution or god/gods to start it all.

And I would NEVER miss out on the opportunity to decide MYSELF what races I will create, if I EVER get to the point where I can seriously consider creating a game.

That''s like being a player in the superbowl, but in the final play you invite somebody in the crowd to come and take your place...

My own dream-race? Shapeshifters. Now there''s a race that an entire game can be built around.

Silvermyst
You either believe that within your society more individuals are good than evil, and that by protecting the freedom of individuals within that society you will end up with a society that is as fair as possible, or you believe that within your society more individuals are evil than good, and that by limiting the freedom of individuals within that society you will end up with a society that is as fair as possible.
quote: Original post by Taharez

Good Characters
-----------------
1. Goblins!

Congratulations... you have learned

quote:
Bad Characters
----------------
1. some Humans
2. Dwarfs
3. Elves
4. Demons
5. Faires

WTF! WHY THE HELL AM I BAD! Seriously, no Dwarf is EVER bad! Elves however, you are right about those sly theiving b*stards

And when was a daemon ever bad? You should put him up there with the good guys

-Chris Bennett of Dwarfsoft - Site:"The Philosophers' Stone of Programming Alchemy" - IOL
The future of RPGs - Thanks to all the goblins over in our little Game Design Corner niche

Edited by - dwarfsoft on October 28, 2000 9:26:17 PM
Why should races be good or bad. That whole good or bad concept is so old. There''s no real good or bad...it''s all a gray area.
Need help? Well, go FAQ yourself. "Just don't look at the hole." -- Unspoken_Magi
You are right naz. Some are good, others are bad. It all depends on each of thier agendas

-Chris Bennett of Dwarfsoft - Site:"The Philosophers' Stone of Programming Alchemy" - IOL
The future of RPGs - Thanks to all the goblins over in our little Game Design Corner niche

Yep the concept of good/bad is so realative and subjective. I just hate it so much in movies where there''s the good guy vs. the bad guy.

I think that my new motto should be everything''s subjective ''cause it''s often true

"All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be --Pink Floyd

"Though the course may change sometimes, the rivers always reach the sea" --Led Zeppelin

Need help? Well, go FAQ yourself.
Need help? Well, go FAQ yourself. "Just don't look at the hole." -- Unspoken_Magi
"End Goblin Genocide because NPC''s are people too and subjective opions of them always portray them as evil!"

quote: Original post by Nazrix

I think that my new motto should be everything''s subjective ''cause it''s often true

Not only often... I''d say it''s ALWAYS true. Any observation obviously involves an observer, and that observer has values and morals which enter into his perception of whatever he sees... and so I don''t think there''s any such thing as pure objectivity.

-Ironblayde
 Aeon Software

The following sentence is true.
The preceding sentence is false.
"Your superior intellect is no match for our puny weapons!"
Yep, dwarfsoft, that about sums it up

Iron yeah I suppose that is correct.

"All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be --Pink Floyd

"Though the course may change sometimes, the rivers always reach the sea" --Led Zeppelin

Need help? Well, go FAQ yourself.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement