🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Level Caps (different form the last one)

Started by
4 comments, last by MrSandman666 23 years, 8 months ago
Would it distract from fun when you set a maximum number of experience points achievable ina an rpg? Something like our character can''t go higher than level twenty... It would definately more realistic. Like in Diablo, where there are no level caps, the player becomes as mighty as a god after some time ''cuz the stats keep getting better and better without an end. That''s definately fun, pushing your character as high as yu can and making him somehow almighty, but wouldn''t you normaly say, wait a minute... This is a human. Why can he lift a car??? Understand what I mean? At some point the characters get superhuman strenght/dexterity/inteligence/skills/whatever. What do you think? Should I add level caps to make the game look logical and actually possible in the real world or should I drop that idea because it would detract from fun too much? "Mr Sandman bring me a dream"
-----------------------------"Mr Sandman bring me a dream"
Advertisement
Doesn''t Diablo use some sort of level cap? (I thought level 99 was highest)

Anyway, levelcaps aren''t bad... but they aren''t good either.
Myself, I''m not really a level freak anyway. And the fact that there is a cap, means there is also that ''I''m halfway'' feeling that players get. No longer are they playing to play, but they are merely playing with the goal of the cap in mind. Once the cap is reached... there is nothing to reach anymore.

But, without some sort of cap, in an online multiplayer game (as an example) you''ll get those players that play 24/7 to reach levels undreamed of by regular 1 hour/day players. Which in itself will give several difficulties (for example: how to cater to both target groups?)

I think it all depends on the type of system you use. If you use the default ''level-based'' system, a level cap is usually somewhat required (either that, or a Very VERY steep curve at the end of the road)

Silvermyst
You either believe that within your society more individuals are good than evil, and that by protecting the freedom of individuals within that society you will end up with a society that is as fair as possible, or you believe that within your society more individuals are evil than good, and that by limiting the freedom of individuals within that society you will end up with a society that is as fair as possible.
quote:
Once the cap is reached... there is nothing to reach anymore.

Yeah, exactly that''s the problem.
When there''s nothing to reach anymore, the player will be bored and stop playing. There has to be something to reach for all the time!

By the way, I make a single player game so I can adjust the dificulty to the players might and I don''t have to cope with all mighty player killers.

I need a way to keep the player motivated. Level Ups seem to be the only way, but again that''s just the limited capacity of my mind.

"Mr Sandman bring me a dream"
Maybe if you make the level curve get really steep. Not necessarily cap but make it slower. For example:
100 exp for level 1
200 exp for level 2
400 exp for level 3
800, 1600, 3200, 6400, ... exponential growth
or steeper if you wish (hyper-exponential growth?)

Or you could make the benefits smaller as you go on.
A constant exp per level but at level 1 you get 5 skill advances and level 100 you get 1 skill advance then at level 1000 only a skill advance every 10 levels

Or eventually levels are aesthetic only. Bragging rights, but don''t get any more powerful.

Or a combination of the above.

Think outside the octahedron

I am so glad that Landfish is finally getting the respect he deserves.
Several billion trillion tons of superhot exploding hydrogen nuclei rose slowly above the horizon and managed to look small, cold and slightly damp.-The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams
EXPonential EXPerience . . . heh
Several billion trillion tons of superhot exploding hydrogen nuclei rose slowly above the horizon and managed to look small, cold and slightly damp.-The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams
Steep curve, huh?
Yeah, there''s one idea popping into my mind.
Actually, my game won''t be level based. Instead it will be skill based. By using a skill or attrribute, you gain experience with his special attribute. And when you gained enough XP, this one attribute/skill levels up. So every skill and attribute developes independantly from the others. You''ll get pretty unique characters that way.
But still it should work. I still have to figure out a system of how to do this exactly but this gaev me a pretty good start.
Thanx again.

"Mr Sandman bring me a dream"

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement