🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

why RPGs?

Started by
20 comments, last by MSW 23 years, 8 months ago
I was making a strategy game but it was taking too long and was kind of hard. I''m thinking that if I ever get going I''ll be able to get a simple RPG together pretty quickly. I''m even going to have it come with its own make your own RPG kit with sort of an API for making your own adventures, spells, animations, pretty much everything, and it will still be less work than the strategy game.
Advertisement
Well, let me tell you my little theory about why they do more RPGs than any other. There are two reasons. One from the programmer perspective, and the other from the artist.

The first reason which stems from the programmer''s perspective, is simply laziness. Although I know next to nothing about code, I can guarantee you that programming an RPG is far easier than the fuss of a FPS, racing game, or 3D 3rd person adventure (e.g. Mario 64.) With an RPG, all the programmer is required to do is to structure certain pre-rendered animations to play under specific circumstances. In the other genres, the programming required is far greater for such things as the Artificial Intelligence of the 3D characters and objects as they respond to the actions of the player or players, the behavior of the game camera, and how the play areas will render while in action. Basically speaking, there are far more variables that would require accounting for.

The second reason is art based. At present, games that immerse the player in 3D enviroments have very strict limits on object geometries. Though this situation is steadily improving with the onset of faster systems, both PC/Mac and console-based, at present there is still a significant limit on the number of polygons that can be allocated to any individual character, item, or level. Meanwhile, in RPGs, such limits are not present. 3D artists are allowed to create more elaborate characters and scenes. As such, they are more interested in RPGs.

Like the rest of you, I could not presume to say that this is the case for all artists and programmers, but I''m certain that it accounts for many of them.

RDSFan

Let the games begin.
http://welcome.to/NM3DDiner
Let the games begin.http://welcome.to/NM3DDiner
quote: Original post by RDSFan

The first reason which stems from the programmer's perspective, is simply laziness. Although I know next to nothing about code, I can guarantee you that programming an RPG is far easier than the fuss of a FPS, racing game, or 3D 3rd person adventure (e.g. Mario 64.) With an RPG, all the programmer is required to do is to structure certain pre-rendered animations to play under specific circumstances. In the other genres, the programming required is far greater for such things as the Artificial Intelligence of the 3D characters and objects as they respond to the actions of the player or players, the behavior of the game camera, and how the play areas will render while in action. Basically speaking, there are far more variables that would require accounting for.

Uhhh... if this is true, then why isn't everyone programming puzzle games???? Or old school arcade games?

Is that a huge, gaping hole in the side of your theory or just for air conditioning?

quote:
The second reason is art based. At present, games that immerse the player in 3D enviroments have very strict limits on object geometries. Though this situation is steadily improving with the onset of faster systems, both PC/Mac and console-based, at present there is still a significant limit on the number of polygons that can be allocated to any individual character, item, or level. Meanwhile, in RPGs, such limits are not present. 3D artists are allowed to create more elaborate characters and scenes. As such, they are more interested in RPGs.

If anything, I think it's because the audience is more tolerant of lower quality art. It's the difference between making Blair Witch, and Titanic. Which is more acheivable by the newbie / indie developer?

I think many folks who enjoy game design in general are thoughtful people. Thoughtful people tend to appreciate depth, something seemingly repugnant to your average 3D FPS shooter fan.

--------------------
Just waiting for the mothership...

Edited by - Wavinator on October 26, 2000 8:56:08 PM
--------------------Just waiting for the mothership...
quote: Original post by RDSFan
The first reason which stems from the programmer''s perspective, is simply laziness. Although I know next to nothing about code, I can guarantee you that programming an RPG is far easier than the fuss of a FPS, racing game, or 3D 3rd person adventure (e.g. Mario 64.)

Let''s say you make a racing game. There is much to do with game engine, but when it''s ready, the game is ready save the level data. When you make RPG and finally get the engine ready (which is far more complicated than in racing game), at this stage the making of the gameplay itself just begins.
I personally want to write an RPG because I like RPG''s. I''m not sure if maybe more RPG fans like programming/game design than other genres. RPG''s are about nuances, details, they are about the world, the setting, the story. I''m not saying they have to be, just that they tend to be. Game design is about nuances, details, design is about the world, the setting, the story. Other genres are about the engine, the graphics, they focus on the technical details. Game design is also about technical details, but which aspect of game design is more accessible to novice designers? The artistic side, not the technical side. Which side of design inspires fueds, arguments, flame-wars (directed mostly at Landfish) and heated battles? Not the technical side. (hehe... my 3D engine is so much superior to yours. compare to: non-linear stories are so much superior to linear stories.) Notice that experienced people, like those nice people at Blizzard, Id, etc. often do like to write action games, RTS, FPS, and others, because those people have a lot of experience with the technical aspects of game design. Likewise, it is easier for them to produce a good physics engine than a good story. The other way around for us amateurs who don''t have teams of 100 people writing blood-splattering algorithms and light-incedence calculators.

I am so glad that Landfish is finally getting the respect he deserves.
Several billion trillion tons of superhot exploding hydrogen nuclei rose slowly above the horizon and managed to look small, cold and slightly damp.-The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams
Yeah as long as no one brings up Direct3D vs. OpenGL or C vs. C++ or Windows vs. Linux in the technical forums you are right

"All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be --Pink Floyd

"Though the course may change sometimes, the rivers always reach the sea" --Led Zeppelin

Need help? Well, go FAQ yourself.
Need help? Well, go FAQ yourself. "Just don't look at the hole." -- Unspoken_Magi
Just thought I would necromance for the purpose of more answers to the recent "What is it with RPG games here?" Thread... Hope this answers some more questions. Do you really want me to go down to the ancient times on this board and resurect all of these posts Tolerate?

-Chris Bennett of Dwarfsoft - Site:"The Philosophers'' Stone of Programming Alchemy" - IOL
The future of RPGs - Thanks to all the goblins over in our little Game Design Corner niche

The reason why making RPGs is so popular -well, MY reason at least - is that, unlike the other genres, a decent RPG allows the player (or should allow the player) to ''get down and dirty''. That is, to slip on the persona of the RP character, an interact with the game world as an alternative, escapist life.

As yet, I''ve not seen any other genre with the capability to bring this reaction out in people.

Indeed, I sometimes wonder if RPG is the right term, TIIE might be better (Totally Immersive Interactive Experience).

When creating a RPG world, I at least find I get a sense of awe when taking a step back and looking at my constructive effort. I think this is because, in a good RPG, when the design is done, and the implementation, then the game''s evolution has only just started. The rest is upto the player.

No other game type has this possible scope.

Reality is not the goal, total immersion is
Virtual Worldlets.net, the re-designed, re-built, and re-launched,
rapidly expanding home of online, persistent worlds
Well, I don''t think your term even fits the bill. I would disagree on the TOTALLY IMMERSIVE part. How about ATTEMPTING CREATION OF IMMERSION GAMES (ACOIG , or ACIG, depending on if you want the ''of'')

-Chris Bennett of Dwarfsoft - Site:"The Philosophers'' Stone of Programming Alchemy" - IOL
The future of RPGs - Thanks to all the goblins over in our little Game Design Corner niche

quote: Original post by dwarfsoft

Well, I don''t think your term even fits the bill. I would disagree on the TOTALLY IMMERSIVE part. How about ATTEMPTING CREATION OF IMMERSION GAMES (ACOIG , or ACIG, depending on if you want the ''of'')

I didn''t mean that they''re totally immersive NOW, but that is the way they are heading, and deserve to head.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement