🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

my fps

Started by
7 comments, last by jt_845s 23 years, 8 months ago
i''m working on a fps that has farm animals instead of people. you can be a pig, a chicken, a gerbil, a mouse, etc. You get weapons like an egg bazooka, slingshots, and some other silly weapons. i just want to know what some of you think about the idea. sink or swim? #define ignite_software 1
[source]#define ignite_software 1[/source]
Advertisement
Are you making it off a existing engine? I''m doing a fps too. See my post about the modification. Don''t know the link. Good luck! I know a person who is doing a farm animals mod for halflife.
Ferrett

www.shogunmod.com
Its your time to choose.
www.shogunmod.comIts your time to choose.
Sounds cool. But I think that you will have to take a special approach to it because I highly doubt anything that anyone from this board makes will compare to Q3 or UT or whatever. I think you last question there should be changed from "sink or swim" to "swim with the fishes or the sharks". There is another game sortof like this, invovling deer and deer hunters where you play the deer going after the hunters, and I think that it was quite succesful (don''t know, never played it).

Bowowow yipeeyo yipeeyay

[Formerly "capn_midnight". See some of my projects. Find me on twitter tumblr G+ Github.]

naw, i''m writing my own engine. i want this thing to be 100% me.

#define ignite_software 1
yeah, deer hunter avenger is pretty cool. i''m not aiming at q3 or sof or anything, just a fun multiplayer game.

Come on, don''t be so pessimistic! John Carmack and Tim Sweeney and other great engine programmers post on message boards and everything. It''s not like "if you aren''t able to beat Q3 now, you''ll never be able to.". Well, good luck on your engine, it sounds kind of interesting (the game that is).
-----------------------------1. "Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie!'... till you can find a rock." 2. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else." 3. "If we don't succeed, we run the risk of failure."-Dan Quayle4. If life gives you sour grapes, squash them and make wine!
jt,

Would you be interested in targeting the kids market (i.e., no blood and gore?)

There''s a sore need for fun kids games that aren''t just edutainment. Realistically, as capn_midnight said, you''re probably not going to have access to the Unreal Tournament or Quake III engine... but given your setting you can turn this into an asset.

If you make controlling the animals fun and campy, I think kids could so get into this!!! There is a kids FPS I know of that involves a flying snail, which my friends'' six year old daughter really enjoys.

I could see doing this with funny voice overs, and not a ton of drastic violence (i.e., the egg bazooka splats the pig, rather than kills it), and cartoony graphics. I think children would really like it!

--------------------
Just waiting for the mothership...
--------------------Just waiting for the mothership...
quote: Original post by capn_midnight

I highly doubt anything that anyone from this board makes will compare to Q3 or UT or whatever

especially those who use VB to do it

This is a good way to find out if nessie still reads the Game Design forum.

"""" "'Nazrix is cool' -- Nazrix" --Darkmage --Godfree"-Nazrix" -- runemaster --and now dwarfsoft" -- dwarfsoft --pouya --nes8bit --CmndrM " -- Nazrix
""You see... I'm not crazy... you see?!? Nazrix believes me!" --Wavinator
"You know you're cool when you're in Nazrix's sig " --Martee
Need help? Well, go FAQ yourself.

Edited by - Nazrix on October 17, 2000 5:11:23 PM
Need help? Well, go FAQ yourself. "Just don't look at the hole." -- Unspoken_Magi
yeah, i want to aim towards no blood and gore. i just want a fun game that a parent can feel good about letting his/her kids play. ther''s enough gory stuff out there anyways, and i''m sure that there''ll be more.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement