🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Controlling different avatars?

Started by
-1 comments, last by Wavinator 23 years, 8 months ago
Avatar: The thing that represents you in a game. In an RPG, it''s often your character. In a racing game, it''s your car... I''m thinking of something like Grand Theft Auto, where you could drive a bunch of different cars. The great thing about GTA was that all the various vehicles had different handling characteristics (trucks and vans were butt slow, sports cars were fast but hard to control, buses and tanker trucks were slow but *tough*). They got a lot of "milage" (ahem) out of varying simple characteristics, which was really cool. So I''m thinking of this idea, but greatly expanded. I''d like to know what you think: The setting is science fiction, and you can control ground, air, and space vehicles. Emphasis is very much on action, and the viewpoint is fixed iso / overhead like GTA. Like in GTA, the maps can scale. You can "drive" just about anything you find if you can get to it: Walking tanks, midget submarines, hang gliders, hovercraft, shuttles.... you name it. (Probably about 50 or so units in all) The main source of variety would be how your vehicle handles, where it can go, and what it can do. I''m trying to emphasize fun, so I''m thinking of this in pretty open ended terms (i.e., you don''t have to use a ski jet or tanker truck if you don''t want... but some cool things you can''t use until later in the game) What issues do you think exist with this? One thing I can think of right now is control. How would you remember how to control all of these things? Well, the UI would be similar for each, so that if you''re walking in power armor the same button you use to move forward is the same one that accelerates for a car or a jet. Since it''s an overhead view, this might make sense. Scale is another problem. A person next to a battle cruiser would be tough. Unless you used the same scaling philosophy of GTA, but allowed more levels of zoom. You might even have different "levels" with graphics of different size. Not sure. Comments appreciated! ? -------------------- Just waiting for the mothership...
--------------------Just waiting for the mothership...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement