🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Design docs.

Started by
3 comments, last by Newbie101 23 years, 8 months ago
Are there any example design docs on the web? If there are, can you point me to em''? Thanks all.
Proverbs 26:12------------------------------There is more hope for fools than people who think they are wise.
Advertisement
Well,

I have made one myself that I am kind of proud of.

Go to www.rolemaker.dk and choose the documentation branch in the navigation tree. Warning: It is huge. Larger than you might need.

Jacob Marner
Jacob Marner, M.Sc.Console Programmer, Deadline Games
beware the wrath of the engineer writing a report

actually, it''s a pretty good report, I wish I''d ever done something like that ...
-----------------------------Sancte Isidore ora pro nobis !
There''s little point to looking for an example design doc. I''ve never seen two that are alike.

A design doc, for all the variations of format and content, is just a dcomunet that contains all the concrete information about a game, so that the techs, artists, musicians and foley artists can make your game. If you''re making a game on your own, or with a small group, you might not need one at all.

The purpose of the design doc is to make sure you don''t get the final product up and then the designer says :"Where did this idea dissappear to?" or the famous, "Who the hell put that in?" It makes everything go faster and easier when you can schedual the whole process from the beginning, you need a design doc to do that.

Oh yeah, and they should have lots of pictures. Even crappy pictures.
======"The unexamined life is not worth living."-Socrates"Question everything. Especially Landfish."-Matt
quote: Original post by ahw

beware the wrath of the engineer writing a report

actually, it''s a pretty good report, I wish I''d ever done something like that ...

lol.

I think I will take that as a compliment.

Jacob Marner
Jacob Marner, M.Sc.Console Programmer, Deadline Games

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement