🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Using the cursor - rpg

Started by
5 comments, last by Paul Cunningham 23 years, 9 months ago
I''m trying to work out how many different ways a cursor can be used. Considering that the cursor represents the players finger within the game then it makes sence that it should be able to do more than just perform "click and move" functions for the player. One of the things i''ve already come up with is to use the cursor to represent accuracy. The cursor will change depending on where you place it within the game screen in order to let the player know realtime how accurate their shot will be. If you hold down the leftmousebutton for longer your accuracy may improve which would be displayed by the change in the cursor. Now i''m trying to work out other uses for the cursor, it seems like an untapped resource?! Another idea i just had was to have the cursor represent power ( during melee). The longer you hold down the leftmousebutton the greater the power in a hit, the cursor would somehow change to show the player that the power is building up just like with accuracy. Btw, the game will be using a realtime combat system. Any thoughts you''d like to share on this? I love Game Design and it loves me back. Our Goal is "Fun"!
Advertisement
How about an auto-aim option + target lock function.

Ie. You point "near" a creature, and the game targets that creature automatically. If you hold down the mouse button / have a toggle, then this is will remain targetted (Zelda 64 style) This is quite important if you have real time movement from a top down view, as in Nox you cannot accurately aim at a creature with the lightning spell (which has to be targetted), as you are running away.
Just to clarify, you''re talking about using an aid for those of us who are less umm er good and the old handeye co-ordination thingy?

I love Game Design and it loves me back.

Our Goal is "Fun"!
Yes, because in FPS games you can aim because the enemies are quite big, but how can you aim at a motorbike in a top down view, especially when it is going faster than you + the screen is scrolling and you are dodging ?
Try Red Storm''s Rainbow 6 series. It''s a FPS, but their crosshairs have the accuracy functionality you mentioned. If you move your character, the crosshairs go wider, symbolizing loss of accuracy. If you stop, they move closer together to a minimum (based on weapon selected). Essentially, your shot will fall somewhere inside the crosshairs.

They also have an auto-aim function to represent the highly-trained skill of the character that the player may not have.

Pax
p
For power, the cursor could go from being drawn as dotted lines for weak, to dashes for some strength, to solids lines for powerful. Of course, the cursor doesn''t need to be drawn with lines. It can be anything {such as a spinning globe.} Try to think of it as an animated icon to point with, but give it a "look" that ties all of its functions together.
quote: By Ketchaval
Yes, because in FPS games you can aim because the enemies are quite big, but how can you aim at a motorbike in a top down view, especially when it is going faster than you + the screen is scrolling and you are dodging ?

Well it all comes down to balance remember. It depends on how good the ai will be for the game. Oh bugger, that means that i''ll have to do the scripting before i should continue with the combat system. Damn! bugger. I''ve got to think about this now.

I love Game Design and it loves me back.

Our Goal is "Fun"!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement