🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Level caps - rpg

Started by
5 comments, last by Paul Cunningham 23 years, 9 months ago
If you placed a cap on the amount of experience a character can gain until they accomplish a goal, does this subtract from the gameplay? Or what about spending experience points for more character abilities. If you spent xp on being able to do something new like a faster movement skill or ability, once the xp is spent it''s deducted from your total xp never to be seen again. If this was applied to a cyberpunk based crpg and the new abilities were replacable/consumed so powering up your character was more a case of adapting to the environment rather than having more brute force would this still provide the player with the sence of accomplishment and satisfaction? The character would slowly gain a wider variety of methods to accomplish what they want to do rather than more force. The basis of the idea is that you''re character has memory which acts like a currency in the game. If you want to get upgrades etc then you must sell off your experience for the trade. With later options of backing up your experience before you trade. Would you still consider this an rpg? I love Game Design and it loves me back. Our Goal is "Fun"!
Advertisement
Uh, I''m sorry Paul, but if it''s not fantasy it''s not an RPG... (j/k!!!!!!! )

The model sounds totally cool. I would, however, ask for a clarification: If I can''t succeed at a goal, and I run out of memory what happens?

As to whether or not this is an RPG, plenty of other things will decide that. I''ve heard that if there''s shopping, and some kind of improvement/advancement, and story, then it''s an RPG!

--------------------
Just waiting for the mothership...
--------------------Just waiting for the mothership...
Does it matter if anyone considers it to be an RPG? (If you want it to be an RPG and you think it is an RPG then that is enough).

What really matters is whether the gameplay / experience of playing it is awesome!

Edited by - Ketchaval on September 21, 2000 5:58:54 PM
quote: If I can''t succeed at a goal, and I run out of memory what happens?

You could trade you''re memories in for upgrades and try again. You never actually lose the hardware for remembering, just the software within.

I love Game Design and it loves me back.

Our Goal is "Fun"!
i don''t think i''d really be able to tell how good this system would be without playing a game using it. i think that with the right implementation, it could work very nicely. (that could be said for a lot of things, though)

as to whether it''s an rpg, isn''t the definition of and rpg _basically_ pretending to be someone you''re not? i realize that all games do this, but not to the extent that an rpg is supposed to, right? i don''t think that the system defines the genre...
This sounds interesting. The memories get swapped around like traditional inventory, but they also grow and improve on their own, within pre-set limits.

This would add another dimension to traditional inventories.
I don''t think the idea is going to get used BUT maybe there''s a side door. I''m still looking at different uses for XP. Maybe it would seem a little weird dumping your character xp for an item. But the upside is is that it would create greater value for items becuase the player has paid with their time for this virtual item. Anyhow, how about using xp as a kind of attribute where the player can not get an item unless they have X amount of xp. This is the same as using levels i know, but there maybe something else instead of levels. I was thinking of using hard xp and soft xp.

XP starts off as soft and hardens over time, the hard xp is what''s used for measurments of character growth and ability whereas soft xp has a cap. This way if a player wants to use skills they must be active to get the most out of them. The cap on soft xp could change depending on the thoughts that run through my mind

I love Game Design and it loves me back.

Our Goal is "Fun"!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement