🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Percentage of game elements = genre?

Started by
12 comments, last by Paul Cunningham 23 years, 9 months ago
From the developer stand-point I would ideally like to not think about what genre a game I'm going to write fits in, but just what the how the gameplay will be. Forget about mixing genres, and just making the kind of game you want and make sure it works well...at least while developing

I think it is okay to compare the game concept to previous games and see how it compares, but don't worry about what genre it fits in. If it's a good game that works well, people will play it.

"'Nazrix is cool' -- Nazrix" --Darkmage

Edited by - Nazrix on September 21, 2000 7:31:34 PM
Need help? Well, go FAQ yourself. "Just don't look at the hole." -- Unspoken_Magi
Advertisement
Yes, its easy to say that this game will be fun and thats all that matters but somewhere down the line someones going to ask you "what genre is the game you're making". YOU are the Game Designer and YOU of all people are expected to be able to give the most accurate answers to such questions. We do have a very responsible job and if you can't keep a part of your mind removed from the project in order to answer these questions then there will be times that you'll look like a fool for not being able to give an answer. You've got to know what you're doing!

I love Game Design and it loves me back.

Our Goal is "Fun"!

Edited by - Paul Cunningham on September 22, 2000 2:21:36 AM
Think of it this way. Behind every concept is a Universe that the concept lives in. It may be a Universe spanning generations and lightyears of space, it may be a Universe spanning one day in the life of...what matters is the overall feeling of the Universe in whch the game exists. When designing I have a tendency to create far more background than necessary, both in my head and on paper (involving writing the occasional short story) to get my mind gelled into thinking about the feeling for the Universe. I then try to think of aspects of that Universe that could make a game. I don''t think in terms of genre, I don''t thinks in terms of contraining the game to fit with other peoples blinkered views of the 4 perspectives of ''computer game'' (FPS, RTS, RPG and...what else if you''re truly genrefying your concept). I wonder what could go on in this Universe and what aspect of what went on could be stripped out and moulded into an enjoyable gaming experience. If you had a stereotypical RTS and added a single RPG element, say XP for troops so they develop over time, it doesn''t become cross genre, it doesn''t become become a new genre, it becomes a game with a certain given functionality, a certain set of rules.
The whole concept of genre exists because the purpose of language is to simplify to aid understanding when communicating an idea. Pigeon-holing exists because you have to express a a concept to people who have never experienced the implementation.
What I''m trying to say is, make a game, make rules for a game, create a world with mechanics and constraints. But don''t care how other people pigeon hole it because that''s not your job, that''s not how you fit into the scheme of things.

Mike
I see your point Mike, and i do think you are correct. Maybe i was being a little paranoid in my last post. But yes, i do agree with you.... for now It has helped clear my thoughts (screw genres).

I love Game Design and it loves me back.

Our Goal is "Fun"!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement