🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Genres = Perspective ?

Started by
11 comments, last by Paul Cunningham 23 years, 9 months ago
I do not agree with you wise_Guy, if this was true, then why in the animation field do they still use these old techniques ? Do you remember Wallace and Gromit ? We have many tools, why limitate ourselves to 3D. It is a rather new tool, so we have to experiment with it a lot, but if we forget the good old 2D it will be a great loss for all computerized mankind!!!!!
(five exclamation marks, what would Terry Pratchett say about that?????)
------------------"Between the time when the oceans drank Atlantis and the rise of the sons of Arius there was an age undreamed of..."
Advertisement
A perspective is a structure for viewing the game, the same way a gui is a structure for interacting with the game. Allowing the player to take control of the perspective and putting them in the director''s chair will probably create a new genre rather than changing the games that are available. All games need their limitations to be a game. So it seems appropriate to presume that perspective in games will be a feature used losely in some game types and tightly in other game types.

I bet there will be a lot of stuff up''s along the way, oh well. There''s definity new avenues to explore here i believe.

I love Game Design and it loves me back.

Our Goal is "Fun"!
Paul, actually, you just reminded me that most simulators offertons of different views from different angles, and this has been there for ages (I remember playing Flight Simulator 2 on a Hercules video card ...)
So I guess it''s not only the type of view that is tied to a type of game, but also the freedom of POV you can allow.

youpla :-P

-----------------------------Sancte Isidore ora pro nobis !

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement