🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

It's a kind of magick ...

Started by
6 comments, last by morfe 23 years, 9 months ago
Okay, I need some more ideas. Currently my magickal system has a lot of the standard spells, like : fireball, lightning, earthquake, fascination, lure, summon, stasis, heal, fly, teleport, divine wrath, resurrect, flay, plague, shield, etc. All 'ball' types spells automatically become 'beam' spells after a certain level. I've recently added some moves from DBZ (under new names), and have looked to Magic : The Gathering for inspiration as well, but I want more ... I'm looking for inspiration for new (but realistic) spells, and would like some help from all you brilliant people (and some of the psychos too) ... Oh yes, I'm thinking OFFENSIVE, but if you have some novel defensive ideas, bring 'em along too ... Merrick Edited by - morfe on 9/17/00 10:43:26 PM
"NPCs will be inherited from the basic Entity class. They will be fully independent, and carry out their own lives oblivious to the world around them ... that is, until you set them on fire ..." -- Merrick
Advertisement
Flesh to Stone
Sticks to Snakes
Wall of fire/thorns/wind
Gateway
Shrink/Enlarge
Anti-magic spell
Dispell
Power of One
Increase a Stat
Spontanious Combustion
Power Words (Stun/Die)
Illusion Spells
Speed Aging
Slow Aging
Haste
Slow
Super Haste
Super Strength
Confusion

I love Game Design and it loves me back.

Our Goal is "Fun"!
Thanks ... don't have the first two (like #2 especially), nor do I have Increase Stat or Slow Aging. Wall of thorns is interesting, but define Power of One ...

I guess I should have posted what I've got, so...

Acid Rain
Aethyr Wave
Archangel
Avatar -- Become a vessel for your God. All stats are x10 for two minutes.
Berserk
Bind
Blaze
Blessing
Blizzard
Camoflauge
Chaos
Cloak -- Invisibility
Clone
Consecrate
Counterspell
Deflect
Detonate -- Causes a selected (weak, ie < 50% your level) target to spontaneously explode)
Devolution
Disenchant
Disintegrate
Disrupt
Divine Wrath
Drain
Earthquake
Elemental
Exorcism
Fascination
Fireball
Fire & Brimstone -- Very high level spell ... guess what it does?
Flare
Flay
Flight
Flood
Flux -- For a random period of time, all spells cast in the area give random results
Forcefield
Force of Nature
Fury
Golem
Gout
Howl
Hurricane
Ice Storm
Illuminate -- Light dark areas or a nighttime battlefield
Illusion
Imprison
Inferno
Juggernaut
Lightning
Link -- Join your power with anothers to cast a spell that would normally be beyond your ability
Lure
Mind Strafe
Nightmare
Plague
Recall
Reversal
Sacrifice
Sanctuary
Scourge
Shield
Sinkhole
Slumber
Smoke
Spawn -- Causes a creature to burst forth from the target and attack nearby units
Stasis
Summon
Teleport
Terror
Transform
Volcanic Eruption
Warp

Most are self-explanatory, but I'll add some more descriptions soon..

Edited by - morfe on September 18, 2000 3:59:45 AM
"NPCs will be inherited from the basic Entity class. They will be fully independent, and carry out their own lives oblivious to the world around them ... that is, until you set them on fire ..." -- Merrick
Power of One either means gaining strength from you''re god or getting +1 to strenth for every priest included in the casting of the spell. I think its the former though.

Our Goal is "Fun"!
That''s quite a list you''ve got going! I recognize some of them from MtG, hehe. That''s a great place to get ideas. Just out of curiosity, how many spells are you going for?

-Ironblayde
Aeon Software
"Your superior intellect is no match for our puny weapons!"
How many? Until I start to get repetitive, or define spells which can be accomplished through blending base spells (which a few on the list would fall under -- oh well).

But really, it''s not a matter of numbers, it''s a matter of getting all the ideas I can, testing them out and then culling out those that don''t work or are pointless. There is no goal, just a result.

Merrick

Control enemy
Heat Metal - great for enemies wearing metal armour
Speed Projectile
Disarm
Blind
Dust Devil
Trip
Cause Weakness
Befriend
Inflict Disease
Slow time
Wish
Crack stone
Bend metal
Weaken/strengthen material
Suffocate
Enhance Hearing/Sight
Damage Hearing/Sight

Our Goal is "Fun"!
Oh yeah, about that Flesh to Stone spell, you could always have a Stone to Flesh Spell aswell. Or a Stone to Mud Spell.

Our Goal is "Fun"!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement