🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Start of my FPS design doc

Started by
10 comments, last by Domenic 23 years, 9 months ago
Here''s a start on the design doc of the FPS I''m gonna make. It is unuiqe in a few ways, stated below. ----------------------------------------------- Warriors of the Arena is a one-on-one 3D FPS fighting game. It is designed to be similar to the first few deathmatch levels of Unreal Tournament, except the concept of a one-on-one battle is the main focus of the game, not just the introduction. It will be not unlike current FPS games in the market, besides in this major difference. In the arena there will be two main players who are trying to kill each other, normal deathmatch style. Other players in the game besides the current pair in the arena will be “spectators”. In this way, a level is composed of two main sections: the normal level where the players fight, called the arena, and spectator spots, called views. Spectators cannot move outside of the views, but views will be constructed so that they will be perfect vantage points for watching all of the action. When one arena fighter is defeated, one of the spectators will be transported to the arena to fight the current champion. A single player game will be constructed of levels that are completed by defeating one arena fighter. A short in-game sequence, and a spectator will be transported to the arena. Then you will go to the between levels screen, where you can choose to move to another arena or stay where you are. In higher levels, moving to harder arenas will be neccesary. It also will have multiplayer capabilities, which will be almost the same as single player. The difference is that there are no “levels”. It is important to note that arena fights should carry on for longer than the 5 minutes or so it may take to frag an opponent in Quake. This would be extended by either requiring a larger number of frags, or by making everybody have more hit points to lose. Many powerups and weapons will be scattered at strategic spots throughout the arena (see below for a description of each of these). There should also be hiding spots and such, as in a small Quake or Unreal Tournament level. It should not take the opponent more than 20 seconds to find somebody in hiding, however. There will be a large number of levels, much more than in any single mode in UT. This is because the game is supposed to take more than an hour to beat (duh), and one-on-one fights alone will not be able to keep the player happy unless they come in volume. Levels should progress nicely, giving little rewards for making it to higher levels. For example, on earlier fights you will both be using hand-to-hand fighting, and there will be one weapon hidden on the level. As you progress, newer and better weapons will become available, and more of them. Arena forces will also play a big part. These are similar to the force powers in Jedi Knight, except they are geared towards FPS style fighting. Each arena will have a force generator, as well as it’s own types of power. The closer you are to the generator, the greater your power. For example, the first level (with hand-to-hand combat), will have many agility types of powers, like jumping, flipping, and speed. A level with many weapons (like later levels) may have forces like deflect, destruction (enhances your weapons power), and push. -------------------------------------- Does it sound like the perfect combination of the 1-on-1 style of early UT, the awesome gameplay of Jedi Knight, and all of the other advantages of other FPS games? Any suggestions welcome! PS: I also have a long section on the weapons I have planned (about 10-15). If you want to see that, tell me. Thanx in advance... -Domenic- Geek^n
-Domenic-Geek^n
Advertisement
Hmm... sounds interesting, but I think that what makes an FPS worth playing is a wide variety of play options, and I think you're going to lose a lot of that if you restrict the arena matches to two people only.

There's something to be said for games with both large and small numbers of players, though. The large ones are great fun because there's always someone to shoot at! (among other things) But the one-on-one battles are cool because you never know if your enemy is hiding around the next corner. When you're used to seeing a map filled with gore and chaos, and then you play a match stalking around silently, it's almost eerie at times, which is probably what you're going for.

I'm not sure how many people you're planning on coordinating to implement this game, or what skill level you're all at, so maybe a game with a larger number of players would just be more difficult? I can certainly understand that (any FPS I would try to make would probably have about ten polygons per frame ), but if you think it would be feasible to include a more multiplayer option, I think you should do so.

One other question... are you planning on having the spectators be able to interact with the fighters at all? It sounds like a cool idea to have them there, so I was just wondering if they're going to be mostly background, or if they're going to play an active role in the matches somehow.

-Ironblayde
 Aeon Software

Edited by - Ironblayde on September 16, 2000 8:05:35 PM
"Your superior intellect is no match for our puny weapons!"
Yeah, coding skill level plays a part in the # of players. but also the levels should be pretty small, so on higher AI levels, you will always have an enemy to blow up (cuz they can find you fast).

Good idea about the spectators. They shouldn''t be able to damage the contestants, but other than that, they should be able to do something. Maybe a certain spectator could guide a certain player (through the chat window, w/ lots of preset commands)? Ooooooooo, in the single player game, you could be guided by a certain spectator all throughout the game, who turns out to be your opponent in the last battle.

Maybe they could throw contestants powerups? Oooo, no, Ive got it! The spectators can release ghost versions of themselves (kinda like the force power in Mysteries of the Sith, forgot what it was called), to search the level for powerups, etc. Then they could throw it down to their favored contestant. Maybe it''s sort of teams, where the spectators are on certain sides, split up the middle. They can help by collecting powerups, or doing something else maybe (booby trapping?), and then giving the powerups to the player. But, all of the powerups could go into a certain place for each player, relatively close the each other, so each player could possibly steal from the other person''s power up pile?

Pleaze understand when I say powerups I meant anything you can pick up.

I think this is starting to be a good idea, and I definetly agree that the concept of spectators should be expanded on.

Thank you!

-Domenic-
Geek^n
-Domenic-Geek^n
I don''t mean to be annoying, but did you ever hear of rocket ARena ? Or eventually, for the spectator thingie Capture! or Jailbreak ? Oh, yeah add some powerups, which is a nice idea.
But apart from that, why would I try your game and not play Rocket Arena which has been there since ... pfff, ages !?

Just trying to help
-----------------------------Sancte Isidore ora pro nobis !
Yeah, but since the whole game would be focused around this, there would be a lot more to it than rocket arena, because that''s just an add-on, not a whole game. Any thoughts on the spectator idea?

-Domenic-
Geek^n
-Domenic-Geek^n
And I do appreciate the help Good constructive critism! But really, this would have a lot more depth than just an add on. The spectators will definetly play a big part, if I can just think up some great groundbreaking way for them to interact. And (drumroll)...

THE ARENA FORCES!!!

Yes, there will be something like the force powers in Jedi Knight. Basically, the closer you are the the force generator, the more powerful you are. Each arena also has it''s own special forces that you can use in the arena. For example, in the early hand-to-hand level(s), speed and agility (needed in hand-to-hand) will be the forces used on the level. Maybe later on a destructive lava level or something, You will be able to block shots, enhance damage, etc.

This will need to be thought out a little more, but I think it COULD add something to the game that we have been missing from the FPS genre since Jedi Knight came out.

Oh yeah, another thing I admired about Jedi Knight, was that the third person view was VERY playable. Whenever I play, I always switch to that view immediately. I will try to make this work here, too. But hmm... this probably would interfere with mouse-looking. Have to think about it!

Thanx for letting me point out why I think my game''s better.

-Domenic-
Geek^n
-Domenic-Geek^n
OK, two things, I like this idea of Forces, but what do you mean by it, because what I am thinking about, is more something like the Guardian Forces in FFVIII, that could a nice idea to explore, they would grant you powers, bonuses etc, that would be varying with the nature of the Guardian, or it could jsut be the Jedi powers ? Mmm, but why not.

As well, why do you want to use a 3rd person view ???
Are you gonna put the emphasis on closecombat ? or on shooting ?
If you don't plan to make any real closecombat, the 3rd person view is just a nice thing, but it's NOT playable for shooting. i am sorry but I wouldn't see anything revolutionary in playing a duel if the 3rd person view forces you to use an autoaim thing like in TombRaider.
The 1st person view is still the best you can get for Range combat (shooting).
The 3rd person view is interesting for closecombat as it allows you to see better your surroundings.

youpla :-P

ps : of course, you can do BOTH views I am just pointing out that you shouldn't use something , "just because it's cool"

Edited by - ahw on September 17, 2000 12:45:11 PM
-----------------------------Sancte Isidore ora pro nobis !
just a comment about your force powers
i might have misunderstood you but from what you wrote i gather that by the closer you are to the generator the more of the force power you have. That might not really work because if your fighting with someone you are both going to be aproximately the same distance from the generator. It would just cancel it out between the 2 of you. A suggestion would be that the force powers are in the arena to be picked up but you dont have to use them as you pick them up you can save them and choose between the ones that you have when you need them.
View:

Yeah, I guess so. I meant to do it both ways, but I guess that in a FPS your really should make it first person. I guess 3rd person worked for Jedi Knight because you really weren''t doing as much fighting and more adventuring. You''re right. Maybe if it''s really ez (change the camera coordinates by about -100 or whatever), then I''ll ad it, but I guess it really shouldn''t be a high priority at all, just an added extra.

Force generator:

The point is that you should choose where to engage your opponent carefully, according to your nature and skill. Also, it sorta adds some disadvantages and advantages, eg: this place has a bunch of powerups, but this place is closer to the generator. It is not made to give you an advantage.

Forces (in general):

Sorry, I''ve never played any Final Fantasy games. Pleaz explain.

Thanx everyone for all the ideas and constructive critism!

-Domenic-
Geek^n
-Domenic-Geek^n
Oh, wait after re-reading your post, I sort of get it. I am thinking that it would be sort of like that with your trainer spectator, like if you have a violent spectator/trainer, he could help you violently, etc. If this the kind of thing you were talking about?

-Domenic-
Geek^n
-Domenic-Geek^n

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement