🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Magical SideEffects

Started by
9 comments, last by Ketchaval 23 years, 9 months ago
In AD&D there were magic users know as Wild Mages. The magic they possesesd was random and unpredictable yet powerful. When ever a wild mage casts a spell there''s chance they may cast the spell at level higher or lower than their current level.

For instance when a 5th Level wild mage cast a fireball spell it might come out as if it had been cast by a 8th level mage one time and as if by a 3rd level mage the next. The higher the level of the mage the wider the level variation (i.e A sencond level mage would have a casting level range of 1-3 while a 7th level mage would have a range of 3-11.) and the greater the chance a variation would occur.

Also, each time a spell was cast there was a 5% chance that a totally random effect might occur such as flowers growing out of the mages boots or, if really unlucky, the mage being teleported to a diffrent plane.

They also had access to their own school of spells which where as you expect very random in they''re nature.

On a different note, I''m not really in favour of mana points I prefer the notion that when a mage casts a spell it drains their energy (In the stamina sense, not HP). The more powerful the spell the more exausted they become. This in turn would affect their strength, speed, dexetrity and mind. And as a result of a tired mind they would be more likely to make mistakes during spell casting, this creates a chance of a random and unwanted effect happening.

To recover from this exaustion they would need to rest. They can carry on casting if they wish but they risk collapsing from complete exaustion. The more powerful the mage gets and the more experience they have with the spell the less exaustion they suffer from casting that spell.

- Cedric Kerr

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement