🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Do I stand a chance?

Started by
14 comments, last by William 23 years, 9 months ago
Well William, I think you''ve chosen a good path trying to program a very simple game. This way you''ll find out if you love or hate programming - and you''ll know whether you will want to do the programming yourself, or have someone else do it. Either way, good luck in your efforts.

People might not remember what you said, or what you did, but they will always remember how you made them feel.
~ (V)^|) |<é!t|-| ~
It's only funny 'till someone gets hurt.And then it's just hilarious.Unless it's you.
Advertisement
It seems bad advice to me to push him down a coding route.

First of all if he doesn''t know anything about programing he can''t program a game, not a difficult concept to grasp.

Also you seemed to have missed the original thread......you know the fact that he wanted his design to come to fruition.

By getting into the industry as I have suggested he may have a chance of doing just that, even if it''s years down the line he may be able to use his concept and it may become a game.

Also from his original thread, it seems to me as though he is more interested in design and as such should try and get into design not programing.

With the games industry becoming more like Hollywood every day most companies (the ones worth working for anyway)are relying on games designers to design their games. Coders are now being seen as the implementers of design not the keepers of the vision as they once were.

If he becomes a coder wanting to design games and gets into the industry, he might find that the nearest he ever gets to game design is the writing of the Technical design Doc.

This may seem to be looking quite far down the line, but it is often the little decisions in life that lead to so much, as the saying goes from little acorns do great sycamores grow.
quote:

Do I stand a chance?

Yes.

- DarkMage139
++++++++++++++++
"Shut up and give me the freakin code" -unknown
"Ask and you will be shot" -snes16bit
"Not again!" -SHilbert (upon being assimilated)
"Nazrix is cool." - Nazrix
"You've only seen the beginning" -The Dark Lord of RPGs
"I'm gonna go get high on Squaresoft games" - ILoveNataliePortman
- DarkMage139
quote: Original post by Anonymous Poster

It seems bad advice to me to push him down a coding route.

In my experience it''s equally difficult from a designer or a coder perspective to get things done. Pure designers face the problem of bureaucracy and networking, and can never really *prove* that they''ve got good ideas beyond a doc. Coders have more power in this area, as they can *show* you a demo that proves their concept. ''Course, most coders I''ve known don''t have the well developed imagination I''ve seen in many designers, so that sort of balances things out.

--------------------
Just waiting for the mothership...
--------------------Just waiting for the mothership...
"Do or do not. There is not try."
- Yoda

For all of you that doubt that you can have many enemies on screen in a FPS, go play some Serious Sam. If a game developer really really wants it in the game, he will find a way, and you will too william.
Consider yourself blessed.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement