🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Cybernetics GUI - rpg

Started by
14 comments, last by Paul Cunningham 23 years, 9 months ago
Thanks ahw, that''s just what i needed to get out of this ridged mind frame i''m stuck in. You''ve helped me think of new ways to do this. I''m unsure about transparent gui''s because i think it would make it hard to read, yeah?

I''m thinking now that i could somehow integrate the implant gui with the characters attributes in someway. So you place an implant onto the gui that somehow represents you''re stat''s as well. Maybe health also becuase i think we might be going with that system i talked earlier about "dampening the characters abilities" when they take damage. I should probably hit the sketch book now unless you''ve got some more thoughts there?

I love Game Design and it loves me back.

Our Goal is "Fun"!
Advertisement
Um, have you looked at the Syndicate games? How about a 50/50 split? The left side shows the unmodified body, and the right shows where the mods are. It worked well enough, and it isn''t hard to do.

As for the transparency, it needn''t be difficult to read, depending on the amount of transparency. Maybe the body is partially transparent, while the text uses additive blending?

Merrick
"NPCs will be inherited from the basic Entity class. They will be fully independent, and carry out their own lives oblivious to the world around them ... that is, until you set them on fire ..." -- Merrick
Well, the goal of the trnasparent GUi is to get out of this cluttered screen trend that we have been stuck with for so long.
Now that it''s not as difficult to make transparency effects, you better use it Plus in this case it fits with the theme (futuristic).
The way I was seeing it, it would be a full character stats panel, with location based health (basically, the way I described it for the Simulacres RPG).
When in its reduced form, you would have a little icon in one corner of the screen that would indicate the health in a color coded way (just like the way Starcraft indicates the damage for your units , do you see what I am talking about).
As well, I think you are imagining a nice picture of the body, while I am thinking more of a wireframe drawing. Eventually, when you click on the zone you want to examine, you could "materialize" the body part ?

I really think you could make a simple prototype with either Flash or java-script ... if only my mouse wasn''t so fucked up

-----------------------------Sancte Isidore ora pro nobis !
Yes, theres deffinity some interesting point made here. Unfortunatly i havn''t played any of the Syndicate games sorry so i can''t really comment on that. Ahw, your concept sounds good and its seems like where thinking along the same lines for a change Simplification? I to want a gui for this game that doesn''t hog up screen space. What about something even more simple like what they used in Halflife for using weapons. There could be a little picture of a man/women in the top right of the screen (transparent) and area''s on the body will be colour coded to display wear and tear. Then you use the number keys to activate/deactivate implants when needed?!

So rather than having a gui, instead you take the gui elements and overlay them on the actual game screen. Just like they did in Halflife.

I love Game Design and it loves me back.

Our Goal is "Fun"!
Yep, that''s it
I was just thinking about the zoomin'' in thing because you seemed to imply a RPG game, and it''s nice to have plenty of room for stats, graphic details and the like. But I think we understand each other on that one (I guess it''s because it''s only technical).
-----------------------------Sancte Isidore ora pro nobis !
quote: Original post by Paul Cunningham
Once again, thanks Dave. I think i know the pictures of the human anatomy from the science classes you''re talking about. Usually they are a poster on a wall or something like that i believe. I don''t know how difficult such a system that you''re talking about would be to code. Do you know?

Well, for a 3d coder... no problem
For a 2d guy like myself... well, not so easy. But, it would be cool.

I like ahw''s method too and it would be just as effective.

Dave "Dak Lozar" Loeser

Check Out: GreatShot.com
Dave Dak Lozar Loeser
"Software Engineering is a race between the programmers, trying to make bigger and better fool-proof software, and the universe trying to make bigger fools. So far the Universe in winning."--anonymous

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement