🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

A noncombat RTS?

Started by
8 comments, last by Wavinator 23 years, 9 months ago
Notice I didn''t say "conflict free!!!" What are some possibilities for noncombat strategy? Could it be made as appealing as a traditional RTS? I''d like to float out an idea, inspired by Paul Cunningham''s building thread: competitive network building. First, a quick setting: You''re competiting to be the first to unlock the secrets of a city sized alien machine. You want to build buildings and favorably redirect a network of resources before your oppoenent does. The game would involve things like research, sabotage, theft, diplomacy, and (of course) network building. The winner places the right buildings in the right places at the right time. Specifics? Everyone starts with a flying Hauler that can pick up buildings, move the around, and create new buildings. You have to buy a spots on the map to place buildings on them. You get money from trading and tapping resources. There are 2 types of buildings: human-made, and alien. Human buildings can be designed from scratch, but are fragile. Alien buildings are tough, but should be researched to be fully understood. To build a network, players place buildings and infrastructure in 3D. Players can build some things over and under one another (bridges, tunnels, skyways). They can also scavenge building parts to create new buildings. When the player makes a network by combining infrastructure and buildings, he gets different resources. For instance, if he connects power lines from a alien generator to the rest of his buildings, he can get power. Other types of infrastructure would be roads, pipes, communications arrays, and teleporters. Not all resources are good, though: Some buildings generate heat, or radiation, or toxic sludge as a by product, and the player''s network has to move these around to a safe place. Radiation, for instance, can be trucked to a burial site or expensive launchpad... or "accidently" leaked onto your competitors. Finally, players can win by: A) researching special spots on the map and putting the right buildings there B) building a superior network C) cornering the market on certain infrastructure supplies like piping or resources like fuel and water Waddaya think? -------------------- Just waiting for the mothership...
--------------------Just waiting for the mothership...
Advertisement
It sounds like an agressive multiplayer SimCity I like it. You definity got to play M.U.L.E. Maybe i should email you the C64 emulator and game with it???

I love Game Design and it loves me back.

Our Goal is "Fun"!
quote: Original post by Paul Cunningham

It sounds like an agressive multiplayer SimCity I like it. You definity got to play M.U.L.E. Maybe i should email you the C64 emulator and game with it???

Our Goal is "Fun"!

Hahaha Yes, M.U.L.E. was totally an inspiration (heh, even though I never played it). You have the emulator? I''d love a copy if you could send it!

--------------------
Just waiting for the mothership...
--------------------Just waiting for the mothership...
Right now, I''m actually working on a fun little RTS which has no combat either. It is basically for me to learn Direct Draw, but it will hopefully be a good game.

It involves sneaking illegal immigrants into countries past coast guards. You will purchase boats from places and then take them elsewhere to pick up passengers and then try and sneak them in. To get past you can set up decoy boats and other things like making boats look really suspicious (putting a tarpaulin over the deck or whatever) so the coast guards will investigate.

Yeah, I hope it works =)

"Only a fool quotes himself"
Andy Owen

My Homepage (Non games related)
My Current Project (Games related... I think)
Trying is the first step towards failure.
Or maybe a farming based RTS, where you run a little farm but there are several neighbouring farms. You have to manage the land planting crops, and get the goods that you need. Or steal them... or do deals with your neighbours.
HAHAHAHA ragonastick! how could I tell you were from Australia?

(apart from your details on the left of course)

Sounds great! Let me know when it''s finished!

wise_guy

--aussie! aussie! aussie! OI! OI! OI!--
Hehehe, and if the game actually works and all, I might even consider (shock) a more serious game. Actually, I''m trying to pull it off as seriously as possible, although maybe there will be the more comical things (like a submarine being used to sneak people in, with a big periscope sticking out of the water =)

Yeah, I''ll announce it when it''s done

=)

"Only a fool quotes himself"
Andy Owen

My Homepage (Non games related)
My Current Project (Games related... I think)
Trying is the first step towards failure.
SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
i have already finished one non combat RTS (StarLines INC - check my website) and have started a second one.
Keep it to yourselves...... this is an underestimated genre....

http://www.positech.co.uk
How about the possibilities for there to be Economic enemies with distinct functions. (Check www.gamasutra.com and look for a Harvey Smith article on Designing enemies with distinct functions).

Ie. A pest that attacks crops.

>

An insect pest that attacks rye, and barley breeding young inside the grains, but can be removed once and for all by an expensive pesticide, or can be reduced by introducing a new type of bird to the area.
----------------------

How about an economic Roleplaying game, where you play a farmer/ ruler? and the computer acts as the DM making interesting situations including ones with a moral / social impact as well as a financial one. Ie. Will you help the needy, or save the money for wages? Will you withhold money at the risk of making the small companies bankrupt (very bad karma). etc.
They had pests that attacked crops in MULE. It was quite neat, if you decided to make all your money through solar power then you could lose out when it rains but food gets better, if you go for mining then there could be earthquakes, if you make food then you''ve got bugs. Mountainous areas where excellent for mining but bad for collecting solar power (energy). It was all very well done. And in your spare time if you managed everything really well then you could go Wommpas hunting in your extra time and make some extra cash as a reward.

Our Goal is "Fun"!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement