🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Chain reaction storylines - rpg

Started by
44 comments, last by Paul Cunningham 23 years, 9 months ago
I tryed somethign like that, (only got graphics working, my first prog anyway) But not quite compelling hehe,
it was of a small town made up of teens, and the teens were given random feelings based on values in 4 areas,
and actions could happen at different places, sort of a sim game, but where the teens had things to do, and reactions (charts based on social stereotype, and more importantly their opinion of the person), and then once a certain goal meter would be filled that would change the opinion of somebody, this would slowly make people hate each other/love each other and junk like that, and people gossiped based on what they 1. seen, and 2.heard (pass along gossip), people only kept relative gossip in thier list...as in people that they know.

I never even worked on the actual engine, but it seemed a good idea to me, no ending, I don''t know what bugs might of happened, as people all hating each other when they don''t do things (show up because their feelings got change, as in got mad or something better showed up). And is all cause and effect.
Advertisement
quote: Original post by wazoo69

What if quests were nothing more than links (akin to web terminology)?

Yes! and the links are changed based on the actions of PCs and NPCs.

quote: Original post by Wavinator

Hahaha! Man, this proves my philosophy about not bothering to hide your design ideas because a ton of people already have them... (as they say, great minds think alike )

You know, I think I''m starting to agree with your philosophy on this point

quote: Original post by Nazrix

Doesn''t AI also play a very important role in all of this? Something has to motivate the NPCs to perform different actions. (NPC''s are people too!)

Yes. The way I see it is you would have a List or Tree that would be updated at the completion of the quest (see wazoo96''s post) and every NPC and PC would be notified of the change in quest. For the NPCs it would be simple, just update them. But, for the PCs (MMORPG or CRPG) this would have to be handled differently. I do not like the way DiabloII issues quest... so, something a bit more personal is what I have in mind.

Hmmm, How?

Dave "Dak Lozar" Loeser

Dave Dak Lozar Loeser
"Software Engineering is a race between the programmers, trying to make bigger and better fool-proof software, and the universe trying to make bigger fools. So far the Universe in winning."--anonymous
quote: By Cody
Vacertain goal meter would be filled that would change the opinion of somebody, this would slowly make people hate each other/love each other and junk like that, and people gossiped based on what they 1. seen, and 2.heard (pass along gossip), people only kept relative gossip in thier list...as in people that they know.

Using this thought, what if you had some sort of governing bodies within the game. Each governing body have their own "control" goals. The player would never know what these goals where, they''d just be given orders to do so the governing body can accomplish these goals (don''t let the left hand know what the right hand is doing). All of the governing bodies within the game are trying to get there own goals achieved. So they make each other look bad in the players eyes. When you help one then other governing bodies will like it less. So the player has to learn and find a way to create their own goals and achieve them by using these governing bodies information. So the player eventually becomes a governing body. I think this would be interesting in a MMORPG constant world.

I love Game Design and it loves me back.

Our Goal is "Fun"!
I''m giving something like this a go. Greatly simplified :

A list of all objects, a list of all NPCs, a set of base rules which define what can and cannot be done with each object.

Choose an NPC to assign an object (the goal of the quest). If an object is destroyed, delete it from the list. If an NPC is killed, delete them from the list. If a quest is solved, mark the object as attained, and generate a new pointer to an object for the NPC.

Does this make (enough) sense?

To expand it further, allow the generation of new NPCs who can be assigned objects (which also include "Search for NPC2" BTW). Maybe implement a technology system, so that as the game progresses new object types are developed, and give them new names (random name generation anyone?) so you don''t run out of quests AND don''t start looping ...

-------------------------------------------------
Mindphuq Software : "Who do you want to do today?"
"NPCs will be inherited from the basic Entity class. They will be fully independent, and carry out their own lives oblivious to the world around them ... that is, until you set them on fire ..." -- Merrick
quote: Original post by morfe

I''m giving something like this a go. Greatly simplified :

A list of all objects, a list of all NPCs, a set of base rules which define what can and cannot be done with each object.

Choose an NPC to assign an object (the goal of the quest). If an object is destroyed, delete it from the list. If an NPC is killed, delete them from the list. If a quest is solved, mark the object as attained, and generate a new pointer to an object for the NPC.

To expand it further, allow the generation of new NPCs who can be assigned objects (which also include "Search for NPC2" BTW). Maybe implement a technology system, so that as the game progresses new object types are developed, and give them new names (random name generation anyone?) so you don''t run out of quests AND don''t start looping ...

That''s sounds great, and very possible too. I hope i get to see it one day About that random generation of names, why not create a giant list of names for each race and mark them off as they get used. Unless at course you can make a really good random name generator. I''m just thinking that it would be a pity to ruin a excellent bit of work with something that be potentially be very asthetically unpleasing. Think of it as a tip

Our Goal is "Fun"!
You would have to have a pretty specific scenario for this
to work, but heres an idea.

Say you were making a game where the player is the local law
enforcement (ie sherrif) in a town, and there are certain
protagonistic groups (and families) who are fueding. For each
npc you keep a table of friends,a table of family, and a table
of enemies. You also have a reference table of things that they
would do, ie: X does a driveby on Y, P kidnaps Q''s daughter.

You pre-define the FIRST event, ie: Joe throws a brick through
Mary''s window. Then when the player resolves this (ie: finds
out that joe did it and arrests him (npcs could go to jail for
set periods of time), A random friend/family of Mary [ie: her
son Matt] could perform a random act on a random friend/family
of joe ie: Matt kills Joe''s dog. For each event you would have
to have another table for clues and npc responses, so it would
be time consuming, but a large enough table set might keep you
going for ages.

well thats my (abnormal) thoughts anyway...

----------
"i think that all this talking and such is paining my head to astounding annoyance" - Erick
"Quoting people in your tag is cool. Quoting yourself is even cooler" - SpazBoy_the_Mitey

Disco Love For Everyone
----------"i think that all this talking and such is paining my head to astounding annoyance" - Erick"Quoting people in your tag is cool. Quoting yourself is even cooler" - SpazBoy_the_MiteyDisco Love For Everyone
I might carry this thread over to the new "Game Writing" forum people. Maybe MadKeithV might do me the favour of moving this over there for me?

Our Goal is "Fun"!
Moved
Anyway i won´t be very active for a while, i''ve temporarily lost the use of my right hand to tendinitis. it''s all your fault people, by making me type so much

Give me one more medicated peaceful moment.
~ (V)^|) |<é!t|-| ~
ERROR: Your beta-version of Life1.0 has expired. Please upgrade to the full version. All important social functions will be disabled from now on.
It's only funny 'till someone gets hurt.And then it's just hilarious.Unless it's you.
quote: Original post by morfe

I'm giving something like this a go. Greatly simplified :

To expand it further, allow the generation of new NPCs who can be assigned objects (which also include "Search for NPC2" BTW). Maybe implement a technology system, so that as the game progresses new object types are developed, and give them new names (random name generation anyone?) so you don't run out of quests AND don't start looping ...

This is a cool idea, but wouldn't things get repetitious and forumlated? I realize that this explaination is probably over-simplified comapared to the actual implementation of it, but it seems like the quests could be a bit repetitous like they were in Daggerfall.

I don't mean any offense toward your idea, but it reminds me of how Daggerfall was. The quests were randomly generated.

There would be basic kinds of quests like take object A to Person A and return here for payment.

Then there was go to Dungeon A to retrieve object A and return here for payment. That was about 90% of the side-quests.

There were a couple alternative types of side-quests, but they were few and far between. It got repetitious pretty fast.

"NPC's are people too!" --dwarfsoft

"`Nazrix is cool.' --Nazrix" --Darkmage

Edited by - Nazrix on September 9, 2000 1:07:11 PM
Need help? Well, go FAQ yourself. "Just don't look at the hole." -- Unspoken_Magi
Repetitive? No way ... But, it does depends on how the quests are assigned. I''m using a scripting engine which implements inheritance, so I might have a class Find_NPC which is a child of class Quest, and parent of class Rescue_NPC, and so on ...

I''m trying to be vague on purpose - I don''t want to give too much away just yet (so sue me ) - but I''ve made sure I can cross over sub-quests between classes. I guess I''m turning my quests into neurons, which can be dynamically linked and destroyed to one another.

It works a lot better than it sounds, and I''ve had some fun trying it out. One of my favourite memories is running all over the place after this girl who went missing, and turned out to have been kidnapped, and then sold to slavers, escaped, and joined a cult, and when I finally caught up with her, she killed herself rather than come with me.

So, it doesn''t get that boring

"NPCs will be inherited from the basic Entity class. They will be fully independent, and carry out their own lives oblivious to the world around them ... that is, until you set them on fire ..." -- Merrick

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement